Foxing last night

ChrisR

Out last night as there was no moon & our keeper had complained of Fox being seen in the fields behind our pen. Met my lamping partner Richard at 7.00 & drove around the whole area seeing nothing. Set up 50 yards out from the end of a cover crop at 8.00 & called for an hour seeing only Roe, a Fallow & a Hare. Just about to move when eyes appeared & we spotted a Fox sitting on the edge of the wood 250 yards away, tried to call it in but it wasn't having it & it disappeared back into the wood. Decided to give it another hour when what was probably the same one came out of the wood further up & legged it across the field carrying something dark in its mouth, looked like a bird. Shouted & stopped it, brought it down at 160 yards with a 55grn Norma Ballistic Tip from the .22-250 straight through the shoulders so well pleased. When I retrieved it no sign of the bird it was carrying so it looked like it wasn't dead......result especially if it was one of our Pheasant. :D

Moved out to another field with no result so at 11.30 ended up on the track leading to the pen when after an hour saw eyes crossing the track & heading out across a large stubble field, called but it would not come in only kept stopping & looking in our direction, realised it was trying to get behind the wind so it had probably got our scent. As soon as it stopped again I decided to take the shot, paced it out later at 178 yards & hit it straight between the eyes, 2 in the bag both vixens so time to cut the brushes off & hang them on the pen as evidence for our keeper & head for home for tea & biccies. :lol:

Chris

Click to view full size

post-1528-1253192864_thumb.jpg

post-1528-1253192890_thumb.jpg

post-1528-1253192930_thumb.jpg

thats a cracking nights foxing ,and a corker of a head shot at 178yrds.

atb mark

Cheers Mark

I couldn't quite believe the distance myself but my lamping partner paced it out as well & he got 176 to my 178 & we've checked when zeroing with the range finder & we are usually only out by a couple of yards! Not too bad with a Kahles 3.5-10x50 scope as well.

ATB

Chris

Archived