foxing last night.

22/250 foxer

went off to jontys last night with nick

he was using his 22/250 ai sako and jonty the trusty 222 sako :cool:

i didnt take my rifle as i didnt mind lamping with the lightforce and amber fillter

on the back of the pick up.

jonty had allready shot two foxes that morning on the same farm. but new there would be more about

off we set across the 1st field down to the bottom and started a bit of a call just over the fence in the next cut field was a fox top left corner coming down. could see him in the lamp but no bull couldnt get a shot off because he was to low even off the pick up roof.

we went over the fence into the field and nick rested on the cut bail pulled the 1st shot and fox ran jonty called to try get the fox to look back which he did. and nick shot it second shot at a ranged 186 yards.

moved on through some more gates in the pick up again and checked a couple more fields but no luck. then when we got in top- field a fox was in the lamp but was milling about along the hedge line at top of the field. ranged it and it was 240 yards. jonty had a shot and there was a report of a hit. but when we got up there we couldnt see it. must have missed ? never mind fox wasnt injuried so that is most important thing the crack must have been the trees in the hedge line where bullet hit at the bottom of a hill.

moved on scanned a couple more fields and see a fox but was to far away and wasnt hanging about. moved on to next fields on a steep hill and a fox was working the hedge hunting. jonty got on back and called the fox come in like a train. but wouldnt stop ;) i shouted to stop him and then jonty sent a 40 grain vmax out to greet him. which hit home and made a nice hole in his engine room. ranged 80 yards.

we carried on pulled into a field that had been cut a week or two ago by the look of it. parked in centre and jonty started to call. lamp on and off scanning about on top of pick up. but nothing just then i checked behind and a fox was bolting in :mad: from a wood. he come to a tree 40 yards from us and then went off right. called him again he stopped for a second and nickl let him have it from 60 yards. the 60 grain nostler hitting home in the chest. and doing damage and clean kill of course.

went into last fields called on and off and checked with lamp but nothing after 5 to 10 mins. just about to go and a fox come from bottom field. my turn on the rifle but he wouldnt stay still. went up the hedge line and behind a bale. jonty said to your left and a second fox was there. rested on his shoulder but wasnt steady so didnt take the shot.

fox went and then i went back on lamp. checked again and he was there again :eek: jonty took the shot off my shoulder because he wasnt going to hang about. ranged it and it was 160 yards i think but cant remember im sure they will be on to put me right.

sorry for the long right up but its sunday and im bored

cheers to jonty and nick for a good night with good friends. even if i was on back of the pick up all night

nice to be out in the air and alert. top it of lamping if i do say so ! forgot to say jonty had 2 foxes early that day well setting up some 40 grain loads. all these foxes shot on same farm. and we seen more ! looks like he is going to be busy over the coming weeks. thats not with out going to his other permission the lucky sod

pictures below

nickjamieandjontyshootingpic.jpg

Image035.jpg

Image034.jpg

Image036.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Good write up mate and good result,only started back with the ackley after a spell off so hope to get some results posted again

Good write up mate and good result,only started back with the ackley after a spell off so hope to get some results posted again

Really pleased with the Ackley, currently running 60gn Noslers BT at 3800 fps they certainly do some damage.

Archived