105 A-Max and .243AI

menial 1

I'm going to load some 105 A-max in my 22" 1in9 twist .243AI with Viht 160 starting with 42gr and working up in 1/2gr increments.

Any thoughts or practical experience with this combination would be appreciated thanks.

Pete.

Cheers Andrew, I've loaded up to 46gr with 85gr bullets and settled on 43.5gr as most accurate in .243 chamber.

Looking through all the load data I can find, 42gr wouldn't seem too excessive as a starting point for this bullet choice.

As always, everybody's opinion is valued and yours is no different.

I realise that the Ackley version spikes quickly so will tread carefully, thankfully the temperatures are dropping as autumn rolls in and I'll not have the problems that higher temperatures seem to produce in summer.

Pete.

• 4 months later...

I dont suppose you have put that load over the chrono have you?

I'm currently using Varget with 105gr AMax, only a light load, slow but accurate. Varget is getting expensive as hell and I already have N160 that I use with 210gr Bergers in the Winmag so a common powder would be really useful.

Mark

Hi guy, a good while since ive been on here, busy as hell latly!!

Anyhow, just off the blower from the ill strucken mike norris the other day that my 243AI should be ready in a couple of weeks!

I have ordered this rifle to shoot specifically 105 A-maxs, So its a 26" 1-8 twist chambered with a long throat, and a big badass muzzle break!

I was thinking of using varget, or H414 but when i was with mike taking to him about it quickload said that reloader 22 will be the best powder for this combo!

Hope all you guys are well and am llokin forward to seeing how you get on with your loads!

Shrek

Hi guy, a good while since ive been on here, busy as hell latly!!

Anyhow, just off the blower from the ill strucken mike norris the other day that my 243AI should be ready in a couple of weeks!

I have ordered this rifle to shoot specifically 105 A-maxs, So its a 26" 1-8 twist chambered with a long throat, and a big badass muzzle break!

I was thinking of using varget, or H414 but when i was with mike taking to him about it quickload said that reloader 22 will be the best powder for this combo!

Hope all you guys are well and am llokin forward to seeing how you get on with your loads!

Shrek

Was running 105 A-maxs in a 26 inch Border tube with a 1 in 9 twist!!

I was running Viht N165 powder / Reloader 22 gave the same results / did try H1000 but that ran 100fps slower with no gain in accuracy!!!

Stayed with the N165 because of accuracy and low ES...........

All the best..............

RAY............................

I haven't posted my findings with 105 A-max as my 1-8 Pacnor barrel turned out to have a tight bore and I couldn't even replicate standard .243 loads never mind bettering them. Sub .243 loads with various powders kept blowing primers and destroying brass so their seemed little point in attempting to find a suitable load.

Had me scratching my head I can tell you.

Now returned to original 1-10 barrel, set back and ackleyed and shooting 85gr Sierra varminters, load development is ongoing, suffice to say the original has exceeded the Pacnor without problem, just don't think it'll work with the 105's with the slower twist.

Pete.

Archived