Question on rifle building

Hi folks,

Just a thought that crossed my mind. Does anyone make custom rifles with different actions than bolt action or the AR/black rifle types. Such as falling block? Just being curious, I wonder if one were custom built how it would fare against a bolt action of the same calibre.

ATB,

John

I don't believe that any rifle that fires by way of a "hammer" can be as consistently accurate as a bolt action with a coiled spring, in line striker.~Andrew

I don't think it is the hammer as much as the action/frame lockup consistency. Over on accurate shooter in the guns of the week page, there is an encore based gun that is just as accurate as the bolt guns there. I don't remember the specifics and can't get there from work, but it was impressive. Was it a lot more work than a bolt gun? I would certainly imagine so.

That said, for a hunting gun a break barrel (like the encore) or falling block like a #1 have plenty of accuracy. My encore 223 was printing 1/2" with factory loads before I put the AH barrel on it. I haven't played with the AH enough to give an accuracy report. In my case, it is a custom barrel (MGM) and a tweaked trigger (EABCO, sitting around 4-6 oz). I don't have a #1 or martini, but guys on Saubier have them and get just fine accuracy.

To answer the original question, yes there are guys doing work on other actions. I haven't found one in this country though. EABCO has the 93D (97D?) falling block. Plenty of guys do work on Ruger #1's and #3's. Martini's are nice for small calibers if you can find a good action. And the Encore/contender platform has plenty of good barrel makers.

Thanks,

Rick

Archived