Sun 12th Aug - Still No Deer Carcass to be moved

Is Deer Stalking and Shooting allowed?

The FMDV Order (2006) requires that in a Restricted Zone, no person shall hold or take part in a stalk and that no shooting of deer shall take place except under authority of a license.

The exception is that the occupier of land as well as members of his household as well as persons employed as beaters as well as a shooting party of no more than 3 persons authorised by the occupier may shoot deer found on that land.

However the carcases cannot me moved off the premises.

325WSM

I believe that deer may now be shot and carcasses removed from land, however head, feet, gralloch MUST remain on the land (buried as usual)

I recieved some updates from a contact of a contact at the Deer Commision that I put on the FMD post, but, to be frank, I was uncertain how much of the UK was restricted zone - when I checked on the DEFRA site it was unclear.

Personally, I havent been out since the outbreak, but I know of several who have and been successful.

I was at a stalkers function last night and the concensus of opinion was you were ok to go stalking so long as the aforementioned criteria were met.

Anyone advise differently - it is still a bit of a muddle if you ask me and untill I see something on the DEFRA site that says you are ok to go, I will be stopping in.

I am afraid it is still illegal to move a carcass over or on a public road. I rang DEFRA this afternoon and the operative confirmed that the advice on the site is still valid. I copied the above directly from the site.

There is a £5000 fine for not obeying the directive and it seems as if the fine will be for both the person moving the carcass and the landowner..

I am concerned as I heard this weekend of people shooting in Scotland and bring the carcasses across the border. There have also been deer shot today in my locality according to informed sources.

This is going to do deer shooting and shooters no good whatsoever and the main reason is down to lack of and poor quality information.

I am afraid it is still illegal to move a carcass over or on a public road. I rang DEFRA this afternoon and the operative confirmed that the advice on the site is still valid. I copied the above directly from the site.

There is a £5000 fine for not obeying the directive and it seems as if the fine will be for both the person moving the carcass and the landowner..

I am concerned as I heard this weekend of people shooting in Scotland and bring the carcasses across the border. There have also been deer shot today in my locality according to informed sources.

This is going to do deer shooting and shooters no good whatsoever and the main reason is down to lack of and poor quality information.

well said MRY

the information that is being passed about, BDS SDS and BASC all seem to differ.

now as far has i am concerned, defra is the place to get the info from,and them only.

we have had a letter telling use we are not aloud to stalk our ground until further notice.

and thats how it is with us at present.

ATB

Colin :D

Guest Black Dog

The following was posted on the DEFRA website on the 10 August.

The following guidance is only relevant to a restricted Zone. Specific guidance for the Surveillance and Protection Zones will be issued in due course.

Scotland has different procedures which are detailed on the Scottish Executive website.

In England

1. Treated and untreated carcases of deer killed for human consumption can be moved off the premises of origin for movement to the game larder and/or a Game Handling Establishment (GHE) and from any premises through the usual wholesale/retail premises as necessary to the end consumer. They may NOT be exported.

2. Farmed deer can be sent to approved slaughterhouses.

3. Carcases and any part of a carcase including trophies not intended for human consumption cannot be moved off the premises of origin. Please not this is a change to previous guidance. Further interpretation of the legislation recognised that treated trophies can be sold but there is no provision for movement.

4. The FMD (England) Order 2006 (S.I. 2006/182) requires that in a Restricted Zone, no person shall hold or take part in a stalk except under authority of a licence from the Secretary of State see Sch.7, para.6.

The occupier of any land as well as members of his household, as well as persons employed by him as beaters, and any member of a shooting party of not more than 3 people authorised by him may shoot deer found on that land. Our guidance is that within these conditions, the number of people should be kept to the minimum needed.

If larger parties are required, or shooting that does not comply in any way with the paragraph above, then shooting may only be carried out under an appropriate licence.

At this time all restrictions in a Restricted Zone are in place and at present licences are not being granted.

My game dealer started buying deer from ground outside the surveillance zone yesterday, and they have a ministry vet pretty much living in their office.

Personally I'm happy to shoot deer now and will be making up for lost time.

Thats nothing. Two muppets who regularly post on The Stalking Directory forum have admitted to going stalking in Sussex on the Saturday morning after the livestock movement and stalking ban was put in place. :D

Guest 308Panther
Thats nothing. Two muppets who regularly post on The Stalking Directory forum have admitted to going stalking in Sussex on the Saturday morning after the livestock movement and stalking ban was put in place. ;)

That is a real display of inteligence....

What are thes violators trying to prove? Other than their own mentality is below that of a rock.

308Panther

Archived