Travelling with rifles

I'm looking for some advice from you guys;

I'm fortunate to have been invited to Ireland to cull some Sika in Nov.

I will be taking my own rifle and obviously will need a suitable case.

I don't really want to spend a lot of cash if I can help it as I would much rather invest in some Guinness when I get there.

Does anyone know of a sensibly priced "airline approved" case that will do the job?

Also I pressume you need the same sort of thing for ammo so ditto on the above question for that too.

Any other tips for travelling abroad with firearms would be very welcome as I've not done it before.

P.S if anybody's interested in loaning me one that would be awesome (i'd happily pay and compensate if there was any problem)

ATB

Moses

Peli 1750 with a small box type Peli (forget mod number) for ammo (takes 150 rounds of 308 easily)

Sorry havent a spare, I use mine regularly

I have a Storm 3200 hard case that has travelled with me to Africa, i dismantled the rifle so it fitted in the case as a stock and action. It worked superbly when I reassembled the rifle there was no zero shift at all. To say I was impressed was an understatement especially as the baggage handlers in Africa aren't all that fussy. I also have a small lockable peli type case that can carry ammunition - I never used this I just put the ammunition in my hold luggage and declared that it was in there. I'm selling both as I need the space. Are you going by ferry or airline to Ireland? As I seem to remember some Irish lads I was talking to when I was on Arran saying that you couldn't carry ammo on the ferry?

If you do buy one have a look at the case first if you can as some of the 'airline approved' ones that I looked at seemed very flimsy and poorly constructed.

Paul

Moses,

I use a plastic case which has been reinforced for my African trips. I don't rely on the locks, I've installed custom made closures held shut with Allen head bolts to keep the case intact. I'm in the planning stage of making an aluminium case which will take the dismantled rifle, just as Millwall Paul posted.

Put your ammo in the original manufacturers boxes in your checked baggage along with the bolt in one of those bolt carriers and wrapped in bubble wrap. Tape the ammo boxes together so they don't move in your luggage.

This is most important - when you book your ticket, ensure that the booking agent knows that you are taking "sporting firearms". That obviates any problems at the airport. Obviously, check that your chosen carrier will take firearms. BA does.

Check a week or so before your trip to confirm your flight. If you fly from LHR or Gatwick(don't know about other airports) you will be met by security people who will take you through the process, so there's nothing to worry about. The case will be Xrayed and you will need to have the keys etc so that it can be inspected. Take your FAC, of course. Have two sets of keys in case one gets lost.

Every time I've flown to Africa, I've gone to the customer assistance desk of the airline long before the flight has been announced (more or less as soon as I've arrived at the airport)and explained that I had firearms and wished to get the check-in process under way in plenty of time. If you leave it until check-in time comes you will be almost certainly the last to board the aircraft.

If I can be of any further help or have any questions, shoot me a pm

Peter

Archived