So which one shades it?

JohnGalway

Hi folks,

This is more of a question for the future for me. I intend making an opening for a new scope at some point. It'll either be for a HMR (or .22lr in the unlikely event I keep it) or .223. HMR would be mostly daytime shooting of corvids. .223 is the fox rig, so lamping and low light work.

I do hear a lot of good noise over the Zeiss scopes. But, which top end scope (now, within reason here folks) edges it? I've looked through Swaro's and S&B's and have a Nightforce already.

It'll be bought second hand, doesn't need a heap of magnification and it'll have a 30mm tube and most likely a 50mm objective (not 56). Mag would most likely be variable, like 3-9x50 or 3-12x50, maybe fixed, not too sure on that though as I have a thing about fixed scopes needing to be 8x.

Open to the floor :wub:

ATB,

John

I have a Schmidt & Bender 4-12x42 on my 17hmr and it is excellent. IMO it has better light gathering than my 50mm swarovski, the only down sides are the reticles are slightly heavy and are in the first focal plane, saying that I would be reluctant to change it for anything else as it is quick to the eye and the clarity and is superb.

Cheers

Neil

Short range does me just fine, especially with rimfires :wub: I enjoy and prefer drawing them (corvids) in and ambushing them rather than stalking and blatting as the ground here is very open the latter tactic often results in pure frustration even with the .223.

All my foxes so far have been under 250 yards, the vast vast majority of those been shot at 8x, though for those over 200 I will go to 12x or 14x.

I cannot really comment on S&B as I have never used one in the dark but I do use a 25mm tube Ziess 3x9x36 with the plex reticule. This little scope outperforms my 50mm Swaro PVS and 50mm NSX in very low light. All set at 8x.

I think the fact that you dont often see them for sale used says it all.

A

The optics on the best Austrian/German scopes are all so good I'm not sure the average human eye could rank them.

There are a couple of other things to take into account:

Parallax - adjustable or fixed (at what range?)

weight/size - a PMII just wouldn't look right on a lightweight HMR.

Have a look at the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 which has outstanding glass and is well cheap in the US for such quality. Or the Swarovski 6-24 with adjustable parallax which also has a graduated reticle. This also has outstanding optical quality.

Cornishman

but I do use a 25mm tube Ziess 3x9x36 with the plex reticule.

Have a look at the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 which has outstanding glass and is well cheap in the US for such quality. Or the Swarovski 6-24 with adjustable parallax which also has a graduated reticle. This also has outstanding optical quality.

Cornishman

Well, I put in a "best offer" on a 3-9x50 Conquest tonight, see how it goes :rolleyes:

Archived