Anchutz 1417 stock

Millwall Paul

I have an Anchutz 1417 in 22lr that I'm lookin to get rid of soon due to lack of use, I'm thinking of trading it in. My question is as the previous owner painted the stock black do you think it would be worth my time and effort to strip the paint off and refinish the stock with oil or let it go as it is? Or would it be worth getting a professional to do it for me? Sorry to ask what is probably a silly question but I've never traded a rifle in before and obviously want to get the best price I can for it.

Cheers

Paul

Stripping the black back would not really be an issue - although did the original owner paint over the varnished (or oiled ) stock without prep?

Issues - chequered areas - need careful touch - chemical strip may be best or toothbrush and thinner.

Re -finish - use Tru Oil kit from Beechwood Casey

Time;

2-3 hrs for paint removal and rub down.

Then 1 hr a day for 5 days for final finishing with tru oil.

Would you buy a car with shxxy paint work?

Dave (Baldie) did an excellent step by step guide to using Tru-oil, cannot excatly recall which section of the forum sorry.

Thanks for that Ronin. I hadn't thought of it like that, but very good advice. I shall have a go at refinishing the stock I think. I might not get much more money for it but at least it'll look representable.

Cheers

Millwall Paul

Archived