calibre for boar

Dan

I very much doubt if anyone in DEFRA is even competent , or would have any idea, how to even make a guess at the assessment as to a suitable calibre for boar or indeed any animal. Bunch of numpty paper shufflers, drones who need weeding out to stop the waste of OUR money. Remember the Foot and Mouth Debacle(Sorry, rant over)

I am unable to recollect if it states in the Firearms Acts what calibre is suitable for what quarry, but I am willing to be educated on that aspect.

However, the Home Office Guidance(this is NOT the Law) recommends that calibres such as 270W, 308W or larger should be used for this purpose. (Home Office Guidance Chapter 13 Para 13.25, page 74 in my download). I assume, therefore, that Defra are just following the HO Guidance. You may have a problem convincing your Chief Constable to allow you to shoot a Boar with anything smaller.

Yes, I know it can be done with smaller calibres, but you'd have to get it past your Firearms Department first.

Hope that answers the question

http://police.homeoffice.gov.uk/publicatio...pdf?view=Binary

Peter

Dan

I very much doubt if anyone in DEFRA is even competent , or would have any idea, how to even make a guess at the assessment as to a suitable calibre for boar or indeed any animal. Bunch of numpty paper shufflers, drones who need weeding out to stop the waste of OUR money. Remember the Foot and Mouth Debacle(Sorry, rant over)

I am unable to recollect if it states in the Firearms Acts what calibre is suitable for what quarry, but I am willing to be educated on that aspect.

However, the Home Office Guidance(this is NOT the Law) recommends that calibres such as 270W, 308W or larger should be used for this purpose. (Home Office Guidance Chapter 13 Para 13.25, page 74 in my download). I assume, therefore, that Defra are just following the HO Guidance. You may have a problem convincing your Chief Constable to allow you to shoot a Boar with anything smaller.

Yes, I know it can be done with smaller calibres, but you'd have to get it past your Firearms Department first.

Hope that answers the question

http://police.homeoffice.gov.uk/publicatio...pdf?view=Binary

Peter

[/gday petal. im not sure i can be bothered to have that conversation with the "man" as he is bound to say that my 6.5x55 is not big enough when ive shot over 300 ozzy boar with that calibre and i doubt if hes shot any at all. .

FUNNY YOU SHOULD SAY THAT PANTHER AS ONE OF THE STATION HANDS I KNEW, SWORE BY THE LITTLE .22MAG, HE ALWAYS TOOK HEAD SHOTS WHILE DRIVING ROUND CHECKING FENCES AND SUCH. THEY WERE ALL CLOSE RANGE BUT IT CERTAINLY DID THE JOB REGULARLY ENOUGH NOT TO BE A FLUKE. IF MEMORY SERVES ME CORRECTLY IT WAS A STIRLING 1500 WMR.RIFLE WITH OPEN SIGHTS.

Archived