New QSM Titanium suppressor.

Saw this new suppressor at the CLA game fair, and although very skeptical at first I was very impressed with the build quality which I have to say is superb. Initial testing by a number of experienced people would indicate that the performance is also very impresive for such a light suppressor.

It would be an excellent choice for someone who does not want to upset the balance of a rifle, yes they are not the cheapest but I do think that in this instance you are getting what you pay for.

ATB,

Nick.

Hi Nick

Unfortunately I didn't see them at the game fair but they do look well made judging by photos. I didn't know they were focusing on low weight, I thought the selling point was the titanium. I wonder if the standard .223 one performs better than my PES muzzle can.

Andrew

I looked very closely at them when thinking about one for my 20. My reservation came when tests by the US military on full auto caused the mod to get so hot that it expanded faster than the barrel it was attached to and came loose. I cant see that happening with single shot rifles but I thought I would let someone else use them for a while and see. My 20 has a long barrel so a moddy is not on the agenda at present although I do have a slot for it.

In fairness it is probably an excellent bit of kit for what we want and reduces a lot of the problems associated with carrying a muzzel heavy rifle on a shoulder sling.

A

I did see these at the game fair and they do look a nice design and very well made but at nearly £500, it's an awful lot of money to spend (imo) on a moderator. They do claim to offer a considerable noise reduction of around 30db from memory. I did speak to someone offering a different range who told me that titanium doesn't react well with carbon, I don't know how true this is as I know nothing about such things.

Hi Nick

Unfortunately I didn't see them at the game fair but they do look well made judging by photos. I didn't know they were focusing on low weight, I thought the selling point was the titanium. I wonder if the standard .223 one performs better than my PES muzzle can.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I understand that there is the possibility of a forthcoming test/review of most of the commercially available moderators in the UK which will include the QSM and the PES muzzle can that you have, hopefuly that should answer quite a few myths in relation to silencers. The selling point of the QSM is the fact that because it is made of titanium you get a very strong but at the same time a very light moderator.

Regards,

Nick.

Noise reduction seems about the same as what think is the current quietest the CQB. Might be wrong about the model but reduction is on a par with what we are currently using.

What might be more interesting is that as these mods have been availabal for a few months has anyone here actually bought and/or used one, if so tell us about it please.

A

I'll be interested to see if it's on par with a Brugger & Thomet with the 'magnum' cartridges. They seem to be the current best in terms of build quality and suppression, but you would hope so for £400-500.

I looked very closely at them when thinking about one for my 20. My reservation came when tests by the US military on full auto caused the mod to get so hot that it expanded faster than the barrel it was attached to and came loose. I cant see that happening with single shot rifles but I thought I would let someone else use them for a while and see. My 20 has a long barrel so a moddy is not on the agenda at present although I do have a slot for it.

In fairness it is probably an excellent bit of kit for what we want and reduces a lot of the problems associated with carrying a muzzel heavy rifle on a shoulder sling.

A

Hi Geoff,

This suppressor actually came out top in the US Army evaluation, any threaded suppressor no matter what will work itself loose on an automatic weapon unless loctite or ceramic adhesive is used, therefore this has no relevance to the UK civilian market whatsoever. I have spoken to a couple of people who have used the silencers, both of whom are well respected members of the shooting community and both of whom were very impressed. I am also aware that FA Andersons sold 3 or 4 of these units at the CLA.

Regards,

Nick.

I'll be interested to see if it's on par with a Brugger & Thomet with the 'magnum' cartridges. They seem to be the current best in terms of build quality and suppression, but you would hope so for £400-500.

Hi Tiff,

From what I have seen the 223 and 308 are definately on a par, if not better than Brugger and Thomet in terms of build quality, I dont know about supression levels but hopefuly this will become apparent in due course. Fromwhat I understand Chaytec use the QSM magnums on their rifle so they must be fairly good!!.

Nick.

They did look decent bits of kit and being light have a major marketing edge, downside is the price but if they last say 20 years then the whole of life ownership cost will be far lower than some of the models we have about now like my rusting T8. It will be intersting to see how the market pans out in a couple of years.

A

They did look decent bits of kit and being light have a major marketing edge, downside is the price but if they last say 20 years then the whole of life ownership cost will be far lower than some of the models we have about now like my rusting T8. It will be intersting to see how the market pans out in a couple of years.

A

Hi

i just can not see them selling many at £400 to £500 even with a life time warranty. as we all know about life time warranty's, unless they are a very very big company like leupold / zeiss and so on then are they going to be in business in the future?

Now having said all this i would like to have a look and try one.

What weight are they ??? How much lighter are they then the rest of the mods on the market??

ATB

Colin :lol:

I had a good long chat with the guys who were selling them,they look very nice and very well made,but also very very long being and end can,the other mod they had was an over barrel type which they used on there sniper 338

at £400 its border line

I had a good long chat with the guys who were selling them,they look very nice and very well made,but also very very long being and end can,the other mod they had was an over barrel type which they used on there sniper 338

at £400 its border line

My m8s brother is doing all the work on the mods for him. All except the tubes as he gets them himself.

ATB

Well after long deliberation and talking to a fair few people, it appears that the cost is a big deal with folk.

Yes Titanium is a nice metal and its strong and its this and that...BUT, is it giving you anything better that the high grade Alloy like 7075??? For what it costs I think not!

Now all of you who came and saw me at the CLA seemed to like the new moddy I have, which is the first of 3 possibly 4 units, the price is very good, the quality is the best so why why spend £600 when you can spend £175 for something which will do the same job?

Anyway, being that people like titanium so much I am offering a Titanium baffle stack as an optional extra in the very near future, I am hoping to have a few proto stacks for the Midland. So combine my new mod which is made of top notch alloy and insert a nice set of titanium baffles, the price is still nowhere near £400-£600...! :lol:

Happy days...the end user is a winner! :D

Kal

Well after long deliberation and talking to a fair few people, it appears that the cost is a big deal with folk.

Yes Titanium is a nice metal and its strong and its this and that...BUT, is it giving you anything better that the high grade Alloy like 7075??? For what it costs I think not!

Now all of you who came and saw me at the CLA seemed to like the new moddy I have, which is the first of 3 possibly 4 units, the price is very good, the quality is the best so why why spend £600 when you can spend £175 for something which will do the same job?

Anyway, being that people like titanium so much I am offering a Titanium baffle stack as an optional extra in the very near future, I am hoping to have a few proto stacks for the Midland. So combine my new mod which is made of top notch alloy and insert a nice set of titanium baffles, the price is still nowhere near £400-£600...! :lol:

Kal

i would say you have hit the market price just right.

can not comment on the mods as i have not seen one or heard one yet, but the price is spot on,

people just will not spend more than £200 on mods.yes a few will but you need lots to make back all your costs.

love to try one Kal 1/2" UNF :D:D:D

Hi

i just can not see them selling many at £400 to £500 even with a life time warranty. as we all know about life time warranty's, unless they are a very very big company like leupold / zeiss and so on then are they going to be in business in the future?

Now having said all this i would like to have a look and try one.

What weight are they ??? How much lighter are they then the rest of the mods on the market??

ATB

Hi Colin,

The .223 version weighs 270gr and adds 5" to the lenght of a barrel, and the .308 adds 7.75 inches and weighs 383 gr. So both versions are extremely light weight. Yes they are expensive but its horses for courses, most people would not want to fit a £400 mod to a £600 factory rifle, but there are those that would be willing to spend this for the sake of argument on a £4000 custom rifle. It all depends what your priorities are.

All the best,

Nick

Anyway, being that people like titanium so much I am offering a Titanium baffle stack as an optional extra in the very near future, I am hoping to have a few proto stacks for the Midland. So combine my new mod which is made of top notch alloy and insert a nice set of titanium baffles, the price is still nowhere near £400-£600...! :D

Kal

Hi Kal,

Yes your new mod looks very good, would you be interested in supplying one for the forthcomming review I mentioned earlier on in this thread?

Regards,

Nick.

i would say you have hit the market price just right.

can not comment on the mods as i have not seen one or heard one yet, but the price is spot on,

people just will not spend more than £200 on mods.yes a few will but you need lots to make back all your costs.

love to try one Kal 1/2" UNF :D:D:D

Yeah thought you might... :D

I will see what can be done, theres one doing the rounds at the moment so I will collar it soon as. :D

Hi Kal,

Yes your new mod looks very good, would you be interested in supplying one for the forthcomming review I mentioned earlier on in this thread?

Regards,

Nick.

Can do mate no worries, Wsm has one which could be used no problem. I'm hoping to have the Titanium baffles machined soon...just need to re-mortgage to buy the bar in! :D

Kal

Can do mate no worries, Wsm has one which could be used no problem. I'm hoping to have the Titanium baffles machined soon...just need to re-mortgage to buy the bar in! :D

Kal

Hi Kal

i would not bother making T baffles. just keep making what you are and offer a new set at a cheap price. this way you will not have to re tool and it will keep the costs down, after all you are at the right price now.dont go making the mods more expensive,this will only cost you customers.

All you need is

mods at the right price

spears on the shelf and at a respectable price

good after sales on faulty parts (if any) even if it isn't your fault.

I all so would not send a mod down for testing. if i remember the A-Tec i sent down was the best mod ever made,but then it all changed. hmmmmmm well you know the rest.

ATB

Colin :D

Can do mate no worries, Wsm has one which could be used no problem. I'm hoping to have the Titanium baffles machined soon...just need to re-mortgage to buy the bar in! :)

Kal

Hi Kal,

Thats great, I will speak to WSM as soon as things are finalised,

Regards,

Nick.

Archived