sbs pro hunter

I would think it's just a normal Prohunter. SBS means safety bolt system. I've had two Steyrs and both had SBS, the Prohunter was a 23" heavy barrel in .223 and was accurate as long as you supported the front end carefully, the .308 Scout was good for about 1.5" groups (if you could call two shots a group) for 2 shots then it would open up dramatically due to the pencil thin 19" barrel.

SBS gave you the ability to lock the bolt down past the cocked position with the safety on and then when you rolled the safety forward it would pop up and allow the shot to be taken. We gave both rifles a good butt bashing to see if the system was genuine and we couldn't make the system fail.

My Prohunter was a Mk.1 and the most squirmy stock I've ever had on a factory stick, and I wasn't prepared to spend £4-500 on an aftermarket stock so that it remained accurate off a bipod or whichever position I chose to hold it to take a shot. Macmillan were the only one's available at the time I owned the Mk1.

The Mk11's had a slightly improved stock, but their owners still stiffened the front end up by various means.

Miss my Scout, despite the pig ugly stock it was lovely light carry rifle for hill or woodland stalking which had a spare magazine located in the butt and a set of integral fold out legs up front.

Pete.

I also had a pre SBS model (L or SL?), walnut stocked varmint model in 22,250 with vented fore end, new around 1990 time I guess.

Even with very carefull reloading I could not often get it below MOA, on factory ammo it was dire, 2 MOA plus, it had a very long throat. I sold her with dies etc to Ged (GJB/Tiggs) about a year before he died and he loved it for shooting scottish Roe.

A

To be fair my Prohunter .223 would shoot 1/2" with 50gn Nosler BT's with a #7 reticule to look through, which never helps with tight groups.

One other possible problem when time comes to sell or rebarrel is that the barrels are not threaded on in the conventional way and the majority of gunsmiths don't like to work on them or take them in part-ex for this reason.

The Scout has an ally receiver and could be prone to excessive wear if used for plinking. Mind you, at not much over 5lbs unscoped the snappiness would discourage anything other than pure hunting shots, I certainly didn't find it the nicest rifle to shoot with 150gr bullets and I'm not reoil shy.

Pete.

Guest Scotland Rifles

well i have to disagree.

i had the mkII in 223 and it shot like a dream my home loads got me a 9mm 5 shot group @ 100 yards with great results all day,

i now have the same rifle in .243 and i have managed to get a smaller 5 shot group of just 8.2 mm @ 100 yards with my fox load using a 70gr blitz king, and the best 5 shot group with my 90gr soft point load is 12mm @ 100 yards.

My thoughts on both rifles is they are far better than the latest lot of T3'S better build spec better looking and the bolt is the smoothest bolt on the market (FACT) you will not find better on any factory rifle out there.

to say they all shoot the same or we all shoot the same would be a lie, but you have to try one before you buy, its a costly hobby and to buy something and then change it will loose you good money and a few brownie points with the other half. i have found that 5 mates have joined me in the pro hunter rifle and all shoot just as good as each others, (even when we shoot each others rifles)

have fun finding the correct rifle, try loads out if you can and then make the choice, and good luck

bob.

a well happy pro hunter owner.( and someone who thinks tikkas are just not that good anymore)

forgot to metion this.

the longest shot taken with the 223 was just over 376 yards, but the .243 has just passed it out to 381 yards, both targets where rabbits and the scope was a zeiss 6.5-20x50, :D

well i have to disagree.

i had the mkII in 223 and it shot like a dream my home loads got me a 9mm 5 shot group @ 100 yards with great results all day,

i now have the same rifle in .243 and i have managed to get a smaller 5 shot group of just 8.2 mm @ 100 yards with my fox load using a 70gr blitz king, and the best 5 shot group with my 90gr soft point load is 12mm @ 100 yards.

My thoughts on both rifles is they are far better than the latest lot of T3'S better build spec better looking and the bolt is the smoothest bolt on the market (FACT) you will not find better on any factory rifle out there.

to say they all shoot the same or we all shoot the same would be a lie, but you have to try one before you buy, its a costly hobby and to buy something and then change it will loose you good money and a few brownie points with the other half. i have found that 5 mates have joined me in the pro hunter rifle and all shoot just as good as each others, (even when we shoot each others rifles)

have fun finding the correct rifle, try loads out if you can and then make the choice, and good luck

bob.

a well happy pro hunter owner.( and someone who thinks tikkas are just not that good anymore)

forgot to metion this.

the longest shot taken with the 223 was just over 376 yards, but the .243 has just passed it out to 381 yards, both targets where rabbits and the scope was a zeiss 6.5-20x50, :D

thanks for that,

i noticed that the bolt was deffinatly better on the styer than the tikka's when i looked at them, the bolts on the tikkas almost seemed to rattle

Guest Scotland Rifles
thanks for that,

i noticed that the bolt was definitely better on the styer than the tikka's when i looked at them, the bolts on the tikkas almost seemed to rattle

i can't say much other than i have shot a few rifles in my time, and i have not found a bolt thats better than that on the pro hunter. since i have had it all other bolts ( even some custom rifles seem slack in comparison) a good mate has a howa heavy barrel in .243 and its a true tack driver but even he says he really like my pro hunter.

in fact they are known to be very hard to rebarrel, but if it comes to it i would pay the same money just to have a new barrel on the old action than by another make.

bob.

i think the bolt on an R93 is slightly less rattly!!

i had a prohunter - eventually got it shooting consistently - then got rid, wouldnt have another although a few mates use them with good enough results.

Archived