Importing firearms?

I'm really not sure how to go about this. I've recently been looking for a Browning BPS pump shotgun but have been told by my RFD that the Browning importer doesn't list them. It seems that they are not available here through the normal channels. Is it possible to have one imported, restricted to 3 shot and proofed so I can have one?

The BPS is pretty cheap abroad. Depending on the cost of paperwork etc it could be a realistic option, but I don't know if it's allowed or possible? Do any of you know anything about this? I ask because barrels are often imported for custom work so I guess it must be possible to bring in a whole gun?

EDIT... I have a mate coming over from Canada around xmas time. Would he be able to bring one over and dump it off with an RFD to be put on the system here?

There should not really be an issue importing a firearm to the UK

You may require export paperwork from the home country (where its coming from) and this would require a third party to arrange it for you.

Once the weapon arrives in the UK, it will be siezed by Customs - they usually write to you saying that a package has arrived and you need to provide accreditation (copy of FAC / SGC) that shows you may legally hold the item in the UK.

Once you have provided these details the weapon will be released and continue by carriage - or you collect - usually from Coventry where the "hub" is.

Its relatively simple to sort out, ive done it a couple of times, BUT, you need patience and be prepared to pay for services of the middle man.

There is a company called PBS Imports in the UK (Heathrow) who would possibly arrange it for you - owned by Gary Costello - who is a shooter himself (just won world F Class comp at Bisley)

Thanks Ronin, it all sounds fairly simple! Is there a chance my friend may be able to act as the third party then? He has a Canadian firearns pass which would allow him to bring it in.

As for the picking it up bit, that's where it gets complicated. A BPS is a section 1 shotgun and it would need crimping and proofing as a 3 shot before I could accept it. Could an RFD collect it and get the work done before it was passed on to me?

I believe so yes.

Forgot to mention proof :blush:

Also failed to realise it was sect 1 - sorry.

Your friend may also require a temp visitors permit (firearms), there may be questions asked if he enters with firearms and leaves without one , but if copies of sales / transfer are available authorities should be satisfied....

Guest varmartin
Thanks Ronin, it all sounds fairly simple! Is there a chance my friend may be able to act as the third party then? He has a Canadian firearns pass which would allow him to bring it in.

As for the picking it up bit, that's where it gets complicated. A BPS is a section 1 shotgun and it would need crimping and proofing as a 3 shot before I could accept it. Could an RFD collect it and get the work done before it was passed on to me?

Why don't you send in for a variation for £26.00.....get a section one FAC shotgun on your ticket and save a fortune getting it re-gigged as a 3 shot ???

Hi

i was under the impression that once a shotgun as been made in to or is a section 1 it could not be converted back. now if it is converted over in Canada no one would be any wiser.

could be wrong but I'm sure iv read or heard this somewhere

ATB

Colin :blush:

Hi

i was under the impression that once a shotgun as been made in to or is a section 1 it could not be converted back. now if it is converted over in Canada no one would be any wiser.

could be wrong but I'm sure iv read or heard this somewhere

ATB

Colin :blush:

Possibly if it's been section 1 here? I can't see how it would apply to a new gun though as pretty much all guns come out of the factory as 5ish shot tubes. That's why the UK has a crimp rather than a shorter tube I'd say. Manufacturers wouldn't want to make a shorter mag version just for our poxy little island, especially as our gun culture is so limited.

I don't know though. There are some pretty weird rules we have to stick to!

Archived