Unbelievable!

njc110381

I just need to vent my frustration with some like minded people. I'm sure it will make a few of you smile!

I sent in a variation last week to swap a .375 mod slot for a .300 mod and put a .444 Marlin on my old .375H&H slot. Anyway, got a letter back today. Quite quick - result, or so I thought. According to them I need to pay the variation fee as I got rid of my .375H&H too long ago. Late October 2008 in fact. So, what was that bit of pipe and wood that was sat in my cabinet until 6/7/09 (when I sold it)? Do they mean to say that they have no record of its return from Canada (the dates match)?

And to think they've questioned my need for a third Deer calibre. I want a lever gun with open sights for close range woodland use as my shoot is really scrubby and I get within feet of the Deer regularly! Anything with a scope is hopeless which counts out the 6.5 and .300. Yet for some reason a third rifle is excessive? Forget needs and wants, I've got to sort their records out for them because they're so bloody hopeless! I question their suitability to hold a biro let alone judge what I should have. Stern words to be had tomorrow me thinks :(

I just had a good chat with the manager. He's a great bloke to deal with (maybe a little reserved at times but a nice guy). Turns out customs signed it back in as a shotgun and they couldn't make sense of it so it got lost. Good job someone is honest and didn't sell it down the pub :rolleyes:

I put forward my reasons for wanting the .444 as well as my other two Deer calibres and he said it sounded reasonable to him. I have to put everything we've said in writing and get it in the post to them and it should be sorted fairly easily.

According to him the police armourer took a sharp breath when they asked him about the calibre and that put them off a bit. After what I've said they seem to be backing down a little which is good.

Archived