barrelling a action

hi im new to centerfires ,i just wondered what calibers could be built on a .243 bolt face for fox and vermin only at the mo my force(devon and cornwall)will not allow .243 or above for fox only i take it a 22-250 could be built on this gun or are there any other calibers you would recomend on this size bolt face,also what make of barrel would you recommend and also an idea of costs for fitting,many thanks in advance and sorry if some of these questions are dumb but like i said new to this game

Hi -

there are plenty to chose from. 22.250 243 260 rem 220 swift 6.5 x 47 lap 6-6.5x47 lap 6.5x47 sm 6mm br 22 br 6.5 br 30br 22.250AI and on and on the list goes.

your force should not be refusing you a 243 for fox in the first place, many thousands of people have this caliber for fox and what a caliber it is for the job. i do believe the police did a study on what caliber is the most humane caliber for stopping foxes. they said it was the 243.

prices for doing a rebelling job will vary between who you chose as a smith. but £600 should cover the hole process.

when choosing a barrel just make sure you go for the best that manufacturer makes. IE something like a super match grade barrel. if you got the best smith in this country (Callum ferguson) and he chambered all the different barrels that we have a choice of i doubt we would be able to tell the difference in accuracy.

so as long as its the best they make and its the right twist for you then any just pick one that will not take for ever to be delivered.

what a lot of people do is go for the ones they have had good success in the past with. ie we use loather Walther a lot but i will do any.

ATB

Colin

If your strictly going to be shooting 55grain bullets and lighter go with the 1 in 12. That is going to be giving you the best performance for the bullet you want to shoot. the faster the twist the heavier the bullet, 1-9 is for the 70-75 grain target bullets

The 22.250 was designed for the 50-55 grain bullets with the 1:12" twist. You can probably shoot the 60 grainers with no problem.

If you know that all you're going to shoot is 50-55 grain bullets choose the 1:12" twist as you should also get a little higher velocity in it as there is less friction with the shorter rifling length (all other things being equal).

ATB

Colin

The 22-250 is one of the calibre,s with a wide range of twist rates in it. The industry standard for 40-55 grain bullets in this calibre, is 1 in 14" twist. you have to pick the twist fairly carefully.If you want to shoot the 60 grain bullets, such as a v-max, then a 1 in 12" as Col suggests is better....but it will be borderline for 40 grainers.

I,m just about to build a 22-250 ackley for myself, and i,m putting a 1 in 8" twist on it, as i want to shoot the 75 grain plus, maybe even 90 grainers through it.

We charge £550 for a border archer plain barrel, fitted, chambered, bead blasted, and proofed.

Muzzle threads and caps are extra.

hi im new to centerfires ,i just wondered what calibers could be built on a .243 bolt face for fox and vermin only at the mo my force(devon and cornwall)will not allow .243 or above for fox only i take it a 22-250 could be built on this gun or are there any other calibers you would recomend on this size bolt face,also what make of barrel would you recommend and also an idea of costs for fitting,many thanks in advance and sorry if some of these questions are dumb but like i said new to this game

this my help mate,this guy is very reasonable his work is superb and he has a very fast turnaround

http://www.stevekershawfirearms.co.uk/

Archived