Marlin 917VR (.17HMR)

I've got a chance to buy the above rifle. Is it a good make etc etc

Steve

They are a very accurate rifle. The triggers are crap unless a rifle basix is fitted, and the mag release, etc are cheap and "tinny". The guns are shooters though.

ditto.

But you can work on the triggers yourself and make them very useable. I have a 25n in 22LR, but the new 917's all have the same style action and same trigger group. My trigger was in the 5lb range from new with a lot of creep and some overtravel. Some new springs, a fine file, and a half an hour's work has taken it down to 2.5 lb and crisp. Rimfirecentral has all of the descriptions with pictures.

thanks,

rick

ive had one for two years, and got it from south yorkshire shooting supplies who supplied it with the trigger already done. its a very accurate rifle and has never let me down, longest shot was 192yds off a bipod in no wind ! i check zero every time i take it out and rarely miss golf balls up to 140yds, .

the other thing is i have genuinely NEVER cleaned the bore with a rod ,jag or any solvents whatso ever. after ive got home i pull it through twice with a boresnake and thats it.!! you would think that it would have fouled enough to be shooting shotgun patterns long ago but its still spot on.it may be the stainless barrel i suppose. you certainly wont go wrong getting one.

ps mine shoots remington ammo (17 grn) the best. regards dan

Thanks for the replies and advice.

Steve

Archived