RPA in 243

auquhollie

I got a shout from a mate the other night. He has just bought a knew RPA in 243win. He was asking for some load data. Needless to say i ended up out at his range trying to work up some loads. We got a load with 70 BT's & N160 but could i get a load for the 87grain V Max !!!

We tried a few things but not much better than an Inch.

Has anyone got any tips or loads for an RPA 243 win and 87 v max's/N160 ?????.

Ads

I got a shout from a mate the other night. He has just bought a knew RPA in 243win. He was asking for some load data. Needless to say i ended up out at his range trying to work up some loads. We got a load with 70 BT's & N160 but could i get a load for the 87grain V Max !!!

We tried a few things but not much better than an Inch.

Has anyone got any tips or loads for an RPA 243 win and 87 v max's/N160 ?????.

Ads

http://www.reloadersnest.com/query_bw.asp?...BulletWeight=87

hope that helps, you need to just click on the load number on the right for the actuall data

Cheers Spud. Been on there but it doesnt show where they seat the tips. On or off the lands etc...

Ads

youll have to work that one out your self mate try starting 10 thou off the lands, every rifle can shoot differently with alteration to seating depth even two rifles the same make and calibre

have a look again at that link ads , they are stating there col measurement for the loading but that may differ in your rifle

I'd start with 42.5gr Viht 160 with the bullet set 40 thou out if the chamber is not too tight. If you work up .3gr at a time I would expect a decent accuracy node around 43.1gr or 43.4gr with a muzzle velocity of around 3050fps.

Pete.

Cheers lads.

What i normally do is pick a medium powder charge and use that to start with. I seat 10 thow off the lands and work out in 10 thow increments. When i hit an accurate load i start to go up the charges in 1/5 grain increments. Always has worked but the RPA doesnt seem to be playing ball. Annoying thing is it shoots federal power shocks into the same hole. :wacko:

Ads

Are the power shocks 100gr Ads, and what twist is the barrel?

Im almost sure they were 70 grainers. The twist im guessing is a 1n14. Not 100% on that either though :wacko:

Ads

Guest varmartin

Ads...87 Vmax can be funny beggers to get to shoot ....usually down to a bad batch of heads .......try them in another rifle perhaps ?

I think you may find the RPA is a 1-9" twist! thats what thir standard twist is. As i was gunna buy one.

Ive found with most of my rifles like to be loaded at sammi spec length.

Load at standard sammi spec length with different loads and then at max mag length with different weights. see which give best accuracy and work from there. I always go up in .5gn at a time to save bullets and powder then when you find the accurate one try .3 either side. etc.

hi guys .

37 grains of varget in a lapau case with brprimer with a 87 grain vmax is the dogs danglies in my howa can go up a bit more but group still the same size and the 37 is in the middle when ladder tested so cant see the point in wasting powder or burning anymore than i need .

graham.

hi guys .

37 grains of varget in a lapau case with brprimer with a 87 grain vmax is the dogs danglies in my howa can go up a bit more but group still the same size and the 37 is in the middle when ladder tested so cant see the point in wasting powder or burning anymore than i need .

graham.

Graham,

How far off the lands is that load ?.

ATB

Ads

hi ads,

new rifle and checked with oal gauge and sammi spec to the olgive puts it 25 thou short did load a few down to 10 thou off but didnt gain any accuracy also had a few shot at 50 thou off and they where out to 1.5 " group from .5 " .

always tend to load on the safe side so 25 thou off does give small safety margin as loaded to touching doesnt Give any pressure signs but group is out to 1" . some times wonder if we all go over the top a bit with seating depth especially if only varmint shooting but can see the point of tracking throat erosion so accuracy can be main tained most of my home loads are just neck cleaned with a rag and some brasso stubon carbon sees a bit of tyre buffer or brake cleaner employed then wire brush on inside with cordless drill clampe to bench then neck sized and trimmed to lenght if required .

graham.

Archived