horse fly bites

bigun

does any body know of what to take or put on a bite that will take the swelling down as my hand is killing me and its two times bigger than it should be ,the more i scratch it the bigger it gets ..iv heard the wise cracks of the misses about me catching some in a jam jar and putting it over my manhood ,if it aint money its some thing else she wants ;) any help would be great ,about my hand that is :D

Take some antihistamine - Same stuff people use for hayfever

if that doesn't work go to your doctor

i had a bite a couple of years ago on my hand and the swelling eventually went all the way up my arm, doctor said i was having a real bad allergic reaction and put me on anti-biotics

Sounds like a trip to the docs is in order as Paul has advised - usualy, I only get swelling around the bite area - it rarely spreads.

I do use a ammonia based stick applicator that takes away the itching, although stings like hell on first application ;)

thanks guys, iv never had one this bad before may have to go to the doc like you say .,

Yes get it seen too buddy!!!!

In my recent changeover at work i am now using a strimmer on a regular basis!!!! , even with a decent protection as in full paper suit the little b**tards still have been biting me!!!! ;):D

Shame they was not bigger you could whack them with the shotgun!!! :lol: , mind you bad idea wishing that - that would mean the bite would be bigger too!!!! :o :o

Hope you get better soon ...

Yours most itchingly so..............

RAY.........................................................

hi

does not sound good to me,get yourself to the doc,s pronto!

millpool

Rubbish, I have been bitten hundreds of times by the little gits.

Start taking antihistamine now and for a few days, also, get some after bite or Autan "soothing insect spray" and this will take out most of the itching. the swelling will reduce in a day or two.

Next time, use Jungle formula and spray all exposed skin and even where your shirt buttons up ( they crawl in) but the backs of your hands are their favourite place. The spray is not very nice but I also spray my face and ears.

You will have two little white marks about 1/2" apart where you were bitten for the rest of your days.

I am in the lucky situation that i dont get any reaction to "cleggy" bites, was sheeting a silage pit today when i felt one chew into my arm, that buggers now sittin on the big cow pat in the sky. Cant help with what to put on it, but i used ULTRATHON reppelant its in green tubes and was mass produced for the military so it is available, that stuff keeps everything off, including ticks!

All very well advising over the internet, but if the swelling is as bad as described, then the only safe (and sure) way forwards would be seek medical advice.

I was bitten last year whilst abroad in Mallorca, the bite became sore and I got localised swelling around the calf, bathed it, spread antiseptic on it etc and on my return home found that it was getting worse - ended up in hospital and had 6 weeks off work with cellulitis - anyone whose had that knows its one of the most painful things to get. A year later and I still have the marks on my leg where the infection was.....

Yes probably anti-histamine may be the way forwards to relieve the symptoms, but is that the guranteed answer to the solution - what if,, springs to mind.

I also spread jungle formula (or similar) liberally over ankles (stops ticks) arms, face and neck, but still get bitten on the odd occasion whilst out stalking, on the range etc etc etc.

Shame they was not bigger you could whack them with the shotgun!!! :rolleyes:

I watched one land on a blade of grass through the scope about 20 yards away the other day when I was out stalking. It was nearly dusk so I shot him with the 6.5x55. Got the hold over just right which surprised me, made my day!

Been rebuilding a derelict farmhouse for the last 5 mnths up a valley. Clegs and hornets are a real pain. 20+ bites a day and because of the shorts and vest had some very intimate dealings. The only one on site who is getting real aggro is a lad splashing on all-sorts all day. I know it can get prickly but try just putting up with it. Its almost "Jedi" like i n the way it takes over your life if you let it.

Picture it, I'm doing the ridge board with my hands full taking three bites GABI. He's not taking any but dances like t--t while trying too escape. Thing is you can't'though now its in his head even if they are not there ! Must admit this year they have been real bad though.

Archived