.338 Marlin Express

njc110381

I've been having another look at lever guns over the last couple of days. Does anyone know anything about the .338 Marlin Express? It sounds like a cracking round, plenty of punch but without the totally shocking trajectory problems of the regular calibres. It drops 20" less than the .45-70 at 300 yards from what I can make of it, more like a .30-06 than a lever gun! :lol:

Down side is the dreaded .338 bit. As a number it seems to have a bad reputation. I've e-mailed my FEO about it to see what he thinks and included the velocity and muzzle energy figures. Hopefully he'll be able to see the difference between this and a Lap Mag!

It's a new round so I'd love some more info on it. For a start can you get flat nose expanding .338 bullets? It would be a bugger if you could only use Leverevolution ammo in it, especially if Hornady stopped making it!

Dunno really! I want it for Boar, Black Bear, maybe Elk or Moose and Deer. All fairly close range. I'd also like to be able to take it out as a fast woodland Deer rifle for the UK, and maybe splat some Squirrels and Rabbits with it too if I don't want to remove the live round from the chamber after a bad day. I just fancy a lever gun, and as my .375 is proving such a nightmare for use here it would be a reasonable swap. At least they offer a fast follow up which will make up for the reduced power.

all of the flat nose bullets you find for that gun will be expanding (soft points). In fact, short of single loading you'll not find a FMJ for it that will work in the tube mag (not that you'll be shooting targets with it). There are probably african solids in 338, though not designed for that cartridge.

Thanks,

Rick

all of the flat nose bullets you find for that gun will be expanding (soft points). In fact, short of single loading you'll not find a FMJ for it that will work in the tube mag (not that you'll be shooting targets with it). There are probably african solids in 338, though not designed for that cartridge.

Thanks,

Rick

Thanks for the info Rick. I was hoping there may be a little info from over the pond as you yanks seem to be really keen on your lever guns! The soft point ammo shouldn't be a problem, I'll never want to use FMJs in it. Hopefully I can have the rifle for UK use, otherwise I don't really want it anyway!

Archived