An evening out with the loon.

Well I took my eldest loon out for a stalk last night. He has just turned seven and has been nagging to come with dad for the last six months. So the deal was done. He tidied his room and I would take him out. Amazingly it was cleaned in under ten minutes!!. So I looked out his deer hunter clothes and got him ready. We set off for one of the hill farms where I have been watching bucks work over the past couple of days. We set off at eight and arrived at the beginning of the farm at five past.

Almost straight away I picked out a Doe out on the hill side and within a few minutes clocked her Buck feeding below her. The stalk was going to be a tricky one as to get down wind of the Buck we were going to have to come in from above him. This was not going to be text book stalking as the Doe was stood near to the ridge I wanted to stalk to.

We set off anyway and hoped she would go down to join her mate. An hour later we closed in on the back of the ridge and as if she had read my mind she had worked her way down to join what turned out to be a nice six pointer buck. I crawled in first to the ridge and then coaxed Lewis along the same line as I had taken. He loved getting to crawl in the mud as I am normally telling him to stay out of it. Anyway we were in position and I had chambered a round into my new 6.5. The range was 160 yards and the wind was no more than a breeze. As I was explaining to Lewis what was going to happen next he comments “who is that coming in the landrover”. WHAT !!! where ?. Over there and he points. There and to my discussed, there was the farmer coming up the opposite field on his way to move the cattle it turned out. As he got closer the buck moved off with the doe in tail. Happy I was not. Pissed right off I most definitely was. Anyway the farmer was in and out in 15 minutes so we crawled round the nook to see where the Buck had settled. To my delight he was grazing not 100 yards from were I had last seen him. Again I got comfy and slipped the safety. The shot was only 125 yards and I placed the shot at the base of the ear. He fell to the shot and the Doe trotted off to the other side of the hill.

DSC01195.jpg

With the Gralloch done Lewis helped drag him out to a point were I can access with the Landy. It was then off to the larder to finish the job.

A proud Lewis

DSC01218.jpg

So that was it, Lewis’s first ever stalk and one to remember for both of us.

Hope you enjoyed....... :wub:

Ads

well done ads an excellent write up as well, brings a lump to your throat when they connect for the first time

Thanks lads for the reply's. Panther, yes i looked under his bed. Nowt there that shouldnt have been !!! Wasnt untill the next mroning when i opened his cupboard and i was flattened by all the junk ;) .

Wee shite.....

Well when i was out with him i didnt mention spotting another good head on the edge of the hill. Well last night i decided to take a mate out for stalk and wanted to get in closer to this big fellow to see what he was like close up. Well i spotted him in the same place and made my way up a dyke side where we would intercept him. Whilst standing in dead ground glassing the hill above us i was told there was a man at a window of a neighbouring house watching us with his Bins. After a quick glance i carried on

(sod him i thought, Its my ground). We made out final crawl into 100 yards and was sitting glassing the Buck that at the time was sitting in the grass. I told my mate to get comphyon the dyke but he wasnt to happy at the shooting position he was going to have to adopt. With that The curtain twtcher appeared out his cottage with a couple of dogs and proceded to walk out into the same park we were in ;) .

Every 15 feet he would look up at us and continue to walk closer. I grabbed my mates knew 6.5 nemisis

( honestly this wasnt a set up) and crawled like a mad man about fifteen feet and got the bi-pod onto a large bolder and put the cross hairs between the antlers,the only part of him i could see. My theory was that he will wind the twicher and stand up. Giving me the nanno second i needed to let off the shot. Well it came and no longer had the Buck risen his head then he was back on his arse. This time for good. The twicher got a big thumbs up from across the field and the job was again done. ;)

The buck turned out not to be the big fellow i had seen on saturday night but he was a buck none the less. There arent any pics,sorry as the bullet went in behind the head and exited into his mouth. Not a pretty site and not one i would like to take again.

One thing i will say though. The 123gr Scenar does one hell of a job. Thats 5 Roe this weekend and all taken with the sceners with all producing text book exit holes.

Ads ;)

Archived