Scope levelling, sense check me please.

Just about to mount a new scope so watched a video to remind me how to use my wheeler scope mount tool. Ok very simple,

get bubble level on the rail,

then attach the barrel bubble and level that to the other bubble

then mount scope put bubble on the scope cap and match to the barrel bubble.

ok hear  me out,  feel free to laugh at me and tell me I’m an idiot. ( assuming here scope cap is level which I will check)  can’t I cut out the barrel bubble business with a digital angle cube ? 

I can’t think why this wouldn’t work but I can’t find anywhere on the net using this or any YouTube videos.

zero that digital cube  on the rail then just put that on the cap and get that to match the zero. I don’t even think you would need the rifle level because you are just matching the tilt.

don’t know how you add a pic. I’ll try this might not work

so am I being stupid?

IMG-9335.jpg

I mean matching them both at 0 - Assuming the cap and rail are indeed truly level themselves would work.

But matching the angle wouldn't as they would be rotated around their own center of axis. So all you would have is two wonky things instead of one being wonky when the others level and vice versa. At least that's how i'm picturing what you are saying. 

I still use a bubble level and plumb line, dabbled with wedges, never tried your method, and as I know nothing about the level cube, I suppose the only thing to be aware of would be its margin of error

Scope Reticle Levelers - Brownells UK

i use one of these, which holds the centerline of the outside of the scope directly above the centerline of the outside of the barrel in the vertical plane, the reticle then gets aligned to a plumb line with your eyes . With your method you are levelling the top of the turret cap, to the top of the picatinny rail which may or may not have any relationship to the reticle, or the centerline of the bore, or the orientation of the rifle.

other methods are available...

1 hour ago, lapua said:

Scope Reticle Levelers - Brownells UK

i use one of these, which holds the centerline of the outside of the scope directly above the centerline of the outside of the barrel in the vertical plane, the reticle then gets aligned to a plumb line with your eyes . With your method you are levelling the top of the turret cap, to the top of the picatinny rail which may or may not have any relationship to the reticle, or the centerline of the bore, or the orientation of the rifle.

other methods are available...

ok, I see what you saying, even if I use my method and it’s 100% the actual picitnny rail may not be exact parallel to the barrel/reviever  and the recital may not be perfectly straight in the scope .  So there would be potential error due to manufacturing tolerances. 
What is that device called? Never seen anything like that.

I apply a small magnetic level to the action internal rails and align the scope reticle to a spirit level clamped vertically on the garden fence. I also spend a bit of time with a collimator to equalise the windage and get the zero near the bottom of the scope vertical adjustment. 

Regards

JCS

Wel that little project is on hold. Anybody want an accuracy international scope ring set lol fml.

spent ages getting rifle level finding eye relief then realise I can’t even get the scope close to level because it’s a one piece mount and the scope has a nipple ffs. 

IMG-1099.jpg