Short barrels and fast burning powder.

Scotch_egg

I have a 6mm creedmoor with 20” barrel. First loads were with N150 and I didn’t get obturation with the listed safe data provided by Viht. 

I have since moved to RS62 worked up to 42.7gr excellent accuracy with the 87gr V-max. My only issue is the very low velocity of 2700fps. I’ll be honest I was expecting something like 2900fps. 

would trying N140 be advisable to chase velocity? 

it’s not a range rifle so I’m not worried about cooking the barrel with fast rounds. I want it for varmints and fox from a vehicle. Hence the shorter barrel. 

speed isn’t everything but it certainly helps in the wind which is a bugger on my ground. 

55 minutes ago, Geezedtee said:

N540 would be a better option. Should get you to 3000fps. Usual safety caveats to be observed.

Thank you. That would be a preferred speed for the 87gr v-max. I was hoping I hadn’t messed up going with the short barrel. I would get some factory Hornady but getting some seems to be an issue. 

QL data for RS62.... shows at 2800fps for 42.7g ...obviously seating depth plays a role but this data shows bullet seating depth, bullet length, and cartridge length as the default 87g v-max measurements on Quickload

Data for Vhit 540 ....I have entered 41.5 as the powder charge which gives 3089fps....BUT, your rifle may be different, and all loading caveats apply...check bolt, primers, cases,... etc etc

ATB