Firearms safety

eldon

I know we sometimes complain about the oppressive firearms laws and safe storage requirements in the UK but if it avoids accidents like these then they have to be a good thing,

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20090610/twl-bo...ow-3fd0ae9.html

I wonder how the father feels now and my thoughts go out to him but the burning question for me is does he keep it loaded in the house with no safety in place at all bear in mind the child was only 9 ?

That's very sad. All in all I don't think our firearms laws are too bad. The handgun ban and semi auto rifle ban is daft, as are the restrictions on species we can shoot with said calibres. I also think that we should be judged on the maximum quarry size available to us and be allowed say five rifles (depending on gun safe size) up to a maximum calibre which would be judged by both the shooter and police. It would also be good if we could buy and sell as we please (like shotguns).

I don't think the mentoring route is a bad one. I'm pretty glad I didn't just get given my 6.5x55 to go out and do as I pleased. That sort of size rifle should have some kind of basic training requirement in my opinion. You need to learn to drive a car, so why do so many of us hate the idea of it being applied to firearms? They're pretty dangerous in inexperienced hands.

Archived