Viht n140

mark rug

Morning all.I used the last of my old ammunition for my .22/250 during the winter.H380 powder 38gr. Norma brass Nosler 55gr ballistic tip bullet.CCI large rifle primer.A good accurate load it was too.So i chose Viht n140 Magtech large rifle primers vmax 55gr bullet and some brand new Lapua brass.Got the load data off viht web site.I started at well below max and ended at .5 of a grain below stated max load.Well thats where things went downhill.1.5 inch low and .1.5 inch spread at 100yds.But the thing that bugs me most is the soot on the case necks and on the crown of the rifle after i removed the mod.Im thinking short powder charge but i checked and rechecked the loads they where all as per stated on Vhit web site.Do any of you guys have any thoughts you could share please.cheers.Mark.

1 hour ago, mark rug said:

Morning all.I used the last of my old ammunition for my .22/250 during the winter.H380 powder 38gr. Norma brass Nosler 55gr ballistic tip bullet.CCI large rifle primer.A good accurate load it was too.So i chose Viht n140 Magtech large rifle primers vmax 55gr bullet and some brand new Lapua brass.Got the load data off viht web site.I started at well below max and ended at .5 of a grain below stated max load.Well thats where things went downhill.1.5 inch low and .1.5 inch spread at 100yds.But the thing that bugs me most is the soot on the case necks and on the crown of the rifle after i removed the mod.Im thinking short powder charge but i checked and rechecked the loads they where all as per stated on Vhit web site.Do any of you guys have any thoughts you could share please.cheers.Mark.

Lyman 49th Handbook doesn't list N140 as an option, rather they prefer N150 for 55gr A Max (they don't list your specific bullet).  Their max for N150 is 36.5gr with an expected MV of 3663 from a 24" barrel.

thank you.i got the data off the viht website.it listed 2 bullet types fmj and soft point.i chose fmj as nearest to vmax.i think i bought the wrong powder then.im sure its a lack of power/velocity thats causing the greif.thanks again.mark.