Wilson Bullet seater and 105gr vmax problem!

Grouse

Just got hold of some Amax to fire through the 6mmbr.

Length for the bullet seat depth is 1.790" (measured from case head to ogive with stoney gauge). Problem is it seems the sharp ogive of these projectiles seem to "push in and grip" the wilson bullet seater stem leaving an indent and also causes length to vary upto 5thou.

Neck die used with a .267" collett, lapua brass (necks turned to 80% cuts).

Anybody else had this bother and anybody got any solutions? (was thinking a different diameter hole in the seating stem so the bullet tip/ogive doesn't jam)

Cheers :rolleyes:

Guest varmartin

Sounds like to much neck tension........

Measure some bullets to see if they are larger than the last lot of bullets you loaded that did not get a mark on the ogive. :rolleyes:

My thoughts too Vamartin.

Measured Inside neck diameter (0.241"), outside neck diameter (0.267"), using .267" bushing. No neck "spring back" on cases? (resized maybe 6 times)

105gr Amax read 0.243", even with this its still a 0.002" grip on heads - would have thought that would have been OK? Typical haven't got a 268 bushing to try and 2 shops are out of stock!

The joys of reloading!!!

I had this problem with a Redding die leaving those marks on bullets.

I swapped to an RCBS seater and the problem dissapeared.

It could be the internal profile of the seater stem does not particularily suit that bullet contour.

I remember reading some where thet Hornady will lap seater stems to suit indivdual profiles.

Does this seater leave these marks on other bullets?

It may just be an incompatibility issue.

Dave

Dave,

It is only these bullets so far, and my thoughts were that the stem and these bullet heads were not paticularly suited too. The 87gr vmax don't have this problem!

Seem to have sorted out the "neck" issue now (but don't know how or why) ran cases through a body die (didn't alter measurement on case datum line) then the neck die again (after using expandiron) using 267 bushing - now everything seems ok.....Just doesn't weigh up as to why that should improve things other than the sides of the cases have been "pushed" in a little AND (think this is it) the ID of the case necks have been smothed with the expandiron making seating easier?

Again I say the joys of reloading, not that I can test as its still pissing down and windy - grouse chicks are going to suffer and it was looking not so bad!!!! :)

Archived