Seventeen

Hi all,

Been 'lurking' for the last week but I thought that I'd jump in and ask for some opinions ...

I'm an ex-pistol shooter with quite a bit of (pistol) reloading experience. Currently, shoot both rf and cf rifle and I have loaded for .223 up to .38-55. I'm getting back in to live quarry shooting after a long break and want something for Fox / vermin at shorter ranges sub 200yds.

Seventeen appeals and I wondered if anyone has any experience with the relatively new .17 Fireball? I believe that at the moment the factory options are Rem. 700 or Model 7.

Regards

Andy

Hi all,

Been 'lurking' for the last week but I thought that I'd jump in and ask for some opinions ...

I'm an ex-pistol shooter with quite a bit of (pistol) reloading experience. Currently, shoot both rf and cf rifle and I have loaded for .223 up to .38-55. I'm getting back in to live quarry shooting after a long break and want something for Fox / vermin at shorter ranges sub 200yds.

Seventeen appeals and I wondered if anyone has any experience with the relatively new .17 Fireball? I believe that at the moment the factory options are Rem. 700 or Model 7.

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy,

Welcome!

Although I dont shoot the 17 Furball I do shoot the wildcat version ,17 Mach 4, which is essentially the same beastie. The two rounds will for all intensive purposes behave in a similar fashion. At the moment as far as I am aware only 20gn factory fodder is available for the Furball which will still dump charlie like a sack of **** at 200yds! Less recoil than a springer rifle, relatively quiet compared to say a .223 and the ability to spot your shots. Whats not to like?

If you want to get into reloading there's plenty of reloading data and info available on Saubier.com (albeit) for the Mach 4 but this can still be used in your Furball provided you start low and work up slowly. Todd Kindler at The Woodchuck den can supply case forming dies if you want to roll your own from say quality .223 cases. You might want to try reloading the old cases with some 25gn vmax which have a better BC (0.23) compared with the factory stuff which is probably running at .185 ish. provided your chamber specs will accommodate.

I think Bruce Potts has done a fairly recent article on the Furball in the Shooting Times (article should be available on line)

Cant comment on the remmy rifles as I dont shoot one! Suppose its like most toys you can get good ones and bad ones.

If you need more info then pm me!

ATB

P

Hi Andy

Having used a 17HMR for a season and liked it, I added a 17 Ackley Hornet to the stable and it's a wonderful rifle; no recoil to speak of, marvelously accurate and just a pinch of powder. It's not the ideal round for fox over 150 yards or so but for anything smaller it does the job well. Don't overlook this little beauty.

If you like the 17 Fireball have you considered the 221 Fireball which Cz make as a factory item? A nice light and accurate gun.

Cornishman

PS - Mick at Norman Clark's has a 17 Fireball, a Remmy I think.

Thanks guys,

Yes, I had considered the .221 Fireball - last time I shot one was at 200 yds with an XP100!

I must admit that the CZ527 is attractive but I'm also looking at a Brno Fox in .22 Hornet for the 'collection', so a .17 appealed as being just a little different, without going the wildcat route.

Decisions, decisions ...

Andy

Sub 200 yards it will be fine, step it up to 20 (20Vartarg) and it will go to 300 . Todd Kindler is indeed the guy to talk to, his prices were about the same as Sinclair last time I bought dies etc from him. I did read that he was trialling a factory Remmy model 7 in 17 Fireball but you could do a lot worse than rebarreling a shot out 222/223, maybe an old Tikka 595 or Sako, plenty on Guntrader but my eye was taken recently with an old BSA in .222 at £150. That would be a perfect doner, good actions they were. A 1 in 9 twist will shoot all weights of bullet so I read.

A

these sound a sweet little calibre, may be wortha alokk for in the future

probably make a nice crow/rook rifle

Mmm .20VT or .20Tac would be options if I was going the wildcat route, but I'm trying to stay 'factory'. Rather than a new Remmy the idea of a shot out .222 or some such, re-barreled could be an option, especially if I can pick up a donor rifle from Holt's / Bonhams or similar at the right price (VERY cheap).

Cheers

A

these sound a sweet little calibre, may be wortha alokk for in the future

probably make a nice crow/rook rifle

17AH may be even better for than as its quieter, just a bit fiddly to reload but you should get 3600 out of it using the lighter bullets.

A

I just loaded up some 17 AH last night. We'll see what speed we're getting when I get a calm day to shoot them.

I haven't got the 17 FB, but I have a CZ 527 in 221FB in the closet right now. It too will be shot next to the AH (hopefully later this week). I don't think you'd go wrong with either the 17 or 22 caliber versions.

Thanks,

Rick

I just loaded up some 17 AH last night. We'll see what speed we're getting when I get a calm day to shoot them.

I haven't got the 17 FB, but I have a CZ 527 in 221FB in the closet right now. It too will be shot next to the AH (hopefully later this week). I don't think you'd go wrong with either the 17 or 22 caliber versions.

Thanks,

Rick

Been shooting the Furball for some time now and it is a dream. Will easily reach out to 300yds on corvids and drop charlie like he has been struck by lightening out to 200yds.

Remington cases now readily available and Berger 25grn MEF's are the business behind 17.5grns of h322. Not had chance to crono yet as not really bothered when groupings of .138 can be achieved.

Take the plunge, I purchased a shot out Sako .222 A1 and had it re tubed with Pac nor 1 in 9 barrel. Not the prettiest rifle but it is a working rifle so a few knocks give it character.

Deerless

A 'donor' rifle / action is now in the pipeline. If it shoots OK with the original barrel, I'll leave as it is. Otherwise, I'm pretty certain to be looking at .17 Fireball if factory and .17AH if I really take the plunge and go the 'wildcat' (pussycat?) route.

Essentially, what I'm trying to achieve is a cf which will do the job of a .17HMR but be wholly adequate for shortish range fox. All this at a reloaded cost which is not too far above what one would pay for .17HMR ammo.

Andy

Andy,

That was the same process I went through to come up with the 17 AH. I replaced my HMR with the AH and picked up a bunch of speed along the way. I initially wanted to down load the AH to HMR velocities, but then realized that was stupid since I was putting a moderator on it anyway. It is a bit easier for me since I have the Encore (no messing about with a donor action).

I think the FB will do what you're asking nicely. It will be a bit more expensive to shoot than the HMR though. I calculated my cost with the AH to be right around £15/50. The FB will be ~£0.025 more per round, or about an extra quid per box of 50. Right in the range of HMR prices, but not as cheap as some can get them.

If you decide to go wildcat there is also the 17 velociraptor, which is based on the 5.7x28. A couple guys on saubier built them because the 5.7 has a common bolt head (or you can easily modify a common bolt head). About the same capacity than the 17 AH.

Thanks,

Rick

A 'donor' rifle / action is now in the pipeline. If it shoots OK with the original barrel, I'll leave as it is. Otherwise, I'm pretty certain to be looking at .17 Fireball if factory and .17AH if I really take the plunge and go the 'wildcat' (pussycat?) route.

Essentially, what I'm trying to achieve is a cf which will do the job of a .17HMR but be wholly adequate for shortish range fox. All this at a reloaded cost which is not too far above what one would pay for .17HMR ammo.

Andy

I'm doing exactly that with a standard .22 Hornet! The trajectory is about the same and it drops close Foxes a treat.

Archived