Direct Line Pet Insurance

JC275

Just a word of warning to any of you that have Direct Line Insurance for your dogs (or anything else for that matter) My GSP was killed in a road traffic accident three weeks ago and Direct line are refusing to pay out the £350 purchase price that she was insured for as I cannot produce a reciept from when I got her five years ago. Initially they send out a letter offering their condolences for your loss and giving details of the bereavement helpline service that they have but then the nice guy stuff comes to an abrupt end and they try everything to avoid paying out. To be honest, I couldn't really give a toss about the money but what hurts me is that the slimey little weasles that they employ to answer the phones treat it as a game and seem delighted that they have caught me out for not reading the small print and paying out £25 a month for five years when they knew all along that no claim would be valid without a receipt. Obviously what I should have done was just got a mate to write out a reciept, put it in the foot well of my truck for a couple of days to make it look old then send it in but I was too honest (stupid?) to do that. Although my grievance is with Direct Line, I expect all of the insurers are that same so take my advice and read the small print now before its too late. Could any of you guys that use other forums please copy this onto them as I am very keen to make people aware of this.

Obviously what I should have done was just got a mate to write out a reciept, put it in the foot well of my truck for a couple of days to make it look old then send it in but I was too honest (stupid?) to do that.

Sorry to hear about your lose JC275

Thanks for the heads up on "Direct Line"

Why not contact the original seller and get a letter detailing the original sale or at least tell Direct Line that you have contacted the original seller and are awaiting a confirmation letter. Then involve your mate and the truck footwell !!!!

Good luck with the "weasels", principals go out the window with most of these people :lol:

Steve

I couldn't really give a toss about the money but what hurts me is that the slimey little weasles that they employ to answer the phones treat it as a game and seem delighted that they have caught me out for not reading the small print and paying out £25 a month for five years when they knew all along that no claim would be valid without a receipt.

That would make me even more determined to obtain a receipt JC, as above, post a letter stating your in communication with the seller, & are awaiting response with your receipt,

Then relish the moment you phone them, stuffing it where the sun don't shine,

BJ.

Sorry about your dog :blush:

Before I went to pick up my lab pup 3 years ago, I had a look at insurers for her. The only one i could find who would cover working dogs was Pet Plan.

I was amazed at how many companies offered pet insurance but only two actually did the insuring, the rest were like brokers who bought a policy from these two companies, but marketed it under their own name. And of the two companies that actually did the insuring only Pet plan did working dogs.

I have only needed to claim twice; she had a barley awn suck up her nose which needed flushing out and gastroenteritis last summer, they paid up like goodun's both times. I wish you luck in your fight.

Atvb, ft

I used to insure my old Lab, she had OCD when a pup so I kept her with the same insurer. The year she was ten they refused to cover her any more (no claims at all in her life) as she was now too old. My dog insurance was costing me nearly £400 a year at the time for one perfectly healthy lab and the old lady. That was 7 or 8 years ago, I have never insured my dogs since and at one time I had four.

Ironicaly the perfectly healthy one died of cancer at 8, 3 years before the old girl she was bought to replace.

A

Thanks for your replies lads. I now have a new dog, another GSP from the rescue centre at Chichester, so I have to look into insurance all over again. So far Pet Plan and NFU (who already insure my house contents) seem to be the only ones worth looking at. The drama with Direct Line goes on, this morning I got a bill for another months cover for my dog despite the fact that shes dead! I cannot see how any business can work with such incompetence and insensitivity. If I dealt with one of my customers like this my boss would have my guts for garters. oh well, i'll finish this cup of coffee then phone them again! JC

Archived