BIG SIS / GBPRA Comp

Ronin

Attended the BiG SIS Comp in Scotland today 

The comp was affiliated to the GBPRA and a qualifier for their feed in for selection for entry into the team who will compete in the next word championship event next year 

Twenty competitors attended the range and following a comprehensive safety briefing we split into squads and went to our start stages.

The weather was forecast for heavy down pours, thunder and relatively warm temperatures 

So we were destined to get soaked, cooked and possibly fried 

Our squads first stage was blind - no prior range notes 

When called - (Whixh also started the clock) each participant had to jog or fast walk to a covered firing point and then was given instruction as to where the targets were located (3) 

Then one had to “find it, range it, engage it) - all while the clock was ticking 

The targets were from my measurements 580, 827 ans 962 mtrs 

Dialled in and three shots engaged on each target - I timed out at the end of target 2 ans managed a score of three 

The wind was gusty and the first target needed 1.3 mil windage for my rifle 

This stage was allocated 5 mins which sounds like an age - but in reality it isn’t 😀

This stage was a fantastic levelling start to the day for me - a welcome step away from the walk a step to a prop, put a bag on it ans balance a heavy weighted low recoiling rifle on top…..

It really was welcome ans many on my squad echoed this sentiment 

Stage two for us was a difficult one where three targets were engaged from three positions off a small metal stage with railings - compounded difficulty by the distances being 650 and 910 mtrs with a 2 min time limit and 12 rounds it made a very technically demanding course of fire taking shots from kneeling to standing 

The crosswind for us was almost full value and again gusting to I think 15 mph so quite challenging 

The third stage - perhaps that should be included in the barred list of torture devices - a raised log platform with rail- but to begin with five shots prone from a claustrophobic position beneath the logs 

The distance a little over 900 mtr

Once the five had been shot - move to the log platform whoxh for me meant a seated position off the rail and engage the same target for another five rounds 

At this point in proceedings I started getting twinges in my (already) useless right hip - I’m waiting for a replacement and have been since pre covid - imagine someone drilling into bone without aneathsitc and you just about get what 30 yrs of Ju-jitsu have done to my old bones ,,,

Anyway I completed the stage and hobbled off, but witness some really magnificent shooting from my team mates

The fourth stage was another leveller 

Two targets with significant angular change 300 and 800 mtrs shot in the following sequence from a low rail Whixh was a three person seat from what I think was a courtroom ,,,

so three shots at 800 from three positions - along the rear rail and then seated one shot from each of the seats at 300 

2 mins allotted and I witnessed my squad perform some really slick transitions and almost completing the course of fire in time 

Me - I didn’t come close though managed a few hits at 800, the hip nagging again

For those that haven’t attended the Big Sis Comps - at mid point break - you get fed, for free and fed well.

The team put on a couple of venison burgers for each participant with unlimited tea and coffee to complement 

Excellent service guys Thabk you 

After lunch came my nemesis - “the crate”

A metal open topped box a few feet in size of oblong dimensions and the stage was shot at 500 mtrs with five shots taken from outside the box using the rear rail as a rest (had to be shot from kneeling or low standing ) and then another five from within the confined space off the lower side on the face that was nearest the target 

This totally messed with my slightly sore and now agonised hip flexor and joint and whilst I managed to concentrate enough to get the shots off -  I was in a “bit of pain” afterward 

The other members of the squad again managed to shoot the stage without incident Whixh was really nice to see 

The last stage I shot was single feeding with positional change bettween each shot off a horizontal cable reel - the distance 700 mtr - the fly in the ointment being there was a vertical post that required the rifle to be moved to vertical or withdrawn rearwards - either way 2 mins to complete 10 rounds requires efficient target acquisition  and movement

A difficult but fun stage 

Two further stages remained - both were kneeling transitions and I took the decision that I was unable to continue due to considerable pain in the damn hip

Anyway - stage 7 was shot at 400 mtr through two apertures Whixh couldn’t be touched (or shot) - two positions kneeling and kneeling higher - 10 shots again 2 mins

The last stage (8) was blind and  shot from within a covered firing point - 700 mtr 2:30 mins and I think shot from three positions on a angled rail with what looked to be quite challenging difficulty 

As a bonus there was a last stage - singke shot 800 mtrs at a IPSIC plate that was bordered by two other plates 

The target being the centre plate - not one of the two either side Whixh a few managed to hit but not the intended one 

From my own perspective and physical difficulties aside I really enjoyed this competition and judging from the feedback from other participants they found it very challenging and enjoyable too 

It really was a pleasure to witness some excellent shooting from Joe, Ben, Ian and Mike - great craich too 

Well done to the team organising and who made the day such a good one - pretty much a perfect blend of distance, technical  difficulty and location - Thabks Marc and Helen 

All RCO and support team pulled the stops out to provide a superb days competitive shooting - well done 

Sorry no pics