Met an old mate Sunday.............

Guest martin

Guest martin

Some of you may remember the photo that I put up a while ago of this Buck in full velvet,well we met again.............

Full velvet..........

DSC_0024-4.jpg

And,all cleaned off.............

DSC00152.jpg

DSC00153.jpg

DSC00154.jpg

DSC00155.jpg

Here he is after cooking.............

IMG_1688.jpg

IMG_1689.jpg

IMG_1690.jpg

Cheers..........Martin.

Guest martin
Now that's nice to see the full ste of pics, beofre and after so to speak.

Do you mount the head without cutting???

Yes I do Kip,but,mainly because I don't have a cutting jig,but,I do think they look alright though.......well good enough for me.............Martin.

Yes I do Kip,but,mainly because I don't have a cutting jig,but,I do think they look alright though.......well good enough for me.............Martin.

What type of shield do you use to mount the head when it's not cut??

So far i have cut mine, but without a jig and it's a pain, but i can't see spending the money on the jig to get my money's worth....

Guest martin
What type of shield do you use to mount the head when it's not cut??

So far i have cut mine, but without a jig and it's a pain, but i can't see spending the money on the jig to get my money's worth....

Believe it or not I use a piece of 3/4" ply :blink: ,and,do some magic on it ;) ..............Martin.

Guest martin
Would you mind sharing with the rest of us??

To be honest I was being a bit facetious Kip,I have a cardboard template that I cut round,and then just sand it till it is nice and smooth,and,then I stain and varnish it,rubbing down with wire wool till i have a nice deep lustre.Not really magic,sorry mate.I attatch the head with a coach screw that is put directly into the shield,and,I put 'Gripfill' in the void below the brain cavity which is then what holds the coach screw.I decided to add the lowere jaw bones as i thought it was a bit different..............Martin.

To be honest I was being a bit facetious Kip,I have a cardboard template that I cut round,and then just sand it till it is nice and smooth,and,then I stain and varnish it,rubbing down with wire wool till i have a nice deep lustre.Not really magic,sorry mate.I attatch the head with a coach screw that is put directly into the shield,and,I put 'Gripfill' in the void below the brain cavity which is then what holds the coach screw.I decided to add the lowere jaw bones as i thought it was a bit different..............Martin.

Now you have given me an idea, i have a few shields already, i never thought about making some templates and having a go at making my own (can get plenty of different types of wood, and my brother in-law has a band saw :lol: )

Thanks for sharing Martin.

ps hey if we can't have a laugh the world would be a sad place :lol:

would love to see a pic martin, of the head mounted on your own made shield.

bet it does the beast proud , get a pic up !!! ......please :blush:

sauer

Archived