Moderator question

I've just been out to my local shop and they had an ASE UTRA S5, used but as new, for not a lot of money. It's marked up .25 cal and I want to use it on my Hornet (got to be better than the SAK I'm using now). What I'd like to know is can I use it on my 6.5x55? The actual bore of the mod is .297 so there's a heap of room for a .264 bullet to pass through. I just don't know what free play is needed for it to work safely? I figured if it can handle the muzzle blast and pressure of a .25-06 then it should be fine for 6.5x55 as long as the hole is big enough? I'm thinking it's just been proofed to .25 rather than designed for it, but I'm not certain!

Secondly, how do you clean them? It looks like you can remove the treaded end, but I don't think the baffles will come out? Is it just a case of tipping some Diesel in it and giving it a shake then letting it drip out?

i am afraid mate you are in the same boat as me :D i have a .250 cal one on my .243 ai and i wanted to use it on my 6.5-284 but i cant and i am going to have to buy a 30 cal one ^_^:o;):D

as for cleaning, all i do once i have used i take it off the gun and give it a quick spray of wd 40

hope this helps

That's a shame. It looks really good on my stainless Tikka! Never mind, maybe I'll get another one day or I could just stick with my Predator 8. In all fairness the P8 is a nice light mod, I just thought the S5 looked nice!

The thing is is that Jackson's couldn't possibly advise customers to put a .260 bullet through a .25 mod, though I read on another site, this is what they do in Scandinavia. It is all down to the standard of the screw cutting on your barrel.

I think you have the right idea about cleaning, a squirt of oil in between times helps, but the baffles are really thick on S5's.

i can see why you would want to run the risk as £350 is £350 but if it does go tits up and you destroy your moddy and barrel is it not cheaper to buy another moddy in 30 cal

Err it's a .26 bullet through a .29" bore channel, or 6.5 through 7.4mm in new money.

It's personal preference if he tries it or not. A gunsmith might be an idea, otherwise have a careful look down the barrel with the mod fitted to be certain you have sufficient clearance.

If the quality of threading rifles in this country was up to a higher general standard I'm sure the mod would be stamped for 6.5/260.

njc i would approach the last post with lot off thought if it goes wrong at very best youll need a new moddy

...or at worst you will need a new face, I'm sure we all know the risks, & this has to be remembered, that when you use a product in a way that was not intended by the manufacturer there is a greater degree of risk.

A moderators a moderator, dont really matter whats stamped on it if the bullet will fit though, then carry on in my opionin!

As most of you fellas know i build my own mods, my 6BR is a ASE ULTRA clone thing, the first baffle, which takes all the blast has a hole bored in it measuring 6.9mm puttin a 6mm bullet through that may seem abit frisky, but i know it works! :lol:

I read on one of the forum somewhere that the ase S5 .25mods are ok for 6.5, and that was from someone who has and uses it.

Failing that you could could always PM tukka on bbs. he works for Ase!

i have just got off the phone to ase and they state that although a 6.5mm will go through it , the .250 cal is not suitable and problems can arrise if the threading is stlightly out by as much as a few thousands of an inch

If I could buy a new face for £350 I'd give it a go. I think I'll leave it though just in case. I'm not the sort of guy that likes to take a chance even if it's really slight :excl:

And when my .300WM arrives I'll need a mod for that. As the .30 cal version is proofed up to that I'll need to buy another one anyway.

If I could buy a new face for £350 I'd give it a go. I think I'll leave it though just in case. I'm not the sort of guy that likes to take a chance even if it's really slight :blush:

:lol::lol: Outstanding njc!!!!!!! Macleods advised me to do the same and buy a .30 so that's what I did. I have read of people putting the smaller mods on the 6.5, but they were precision engineers who were risking their own "faces" (thanks again njc) and were obviously confident of their own workmanship. Go with the gunsmiths advice ;)

ft

Archived