Hornady brass ??

Davsim

Hello Gents I've recently ran some homelands through my 6mm creedmoor . When decamped and cleaned I've measured the headspace on the Hornady brass all once fired readings varied from 1557 to 1550 is anyone else experienced  anything similar . I checked the headspace gauge and callipers on once fired lapua brass from my 6.5 creedmoor  10 peices once fired all 1.610. Never had any issues like this before .Starting to think it must just be hornady brass ??

Can anyone shed any light or had anything similar happen to them ? 

Was that the first firing of that batch of Hornady brass and what was the variation of that brass when new?

Yes first firing of that batch .Have another batch that been fired twice on gauge all 1.556-  1.557 . Have seen a few articles on line from various people , saying they had similar . Put 50 new peterson through it they all came out  exactly the same . Wish there was more brass selection for 6 creedmoor , lapua s not always available . 

hornady have ,in my 6.5x55 always varied and seem to be soft brass as the stretch on every firing and on most third firings split the neck even when the case had been annealed. ppu and lapua are much better cases .

4 hours ago, Davsim said:

Yes first firing of that batch .Have another batch that been fired twice on gauge all 1.556-  1.557 . Have seen a few articles on line from various people , saying they had similar . Put 50 new peterson through it they all came out  exactly the same . Wish there was more brass selection for 6 creedmoor , lapua s not always available . 

Assuming the chamber is in good fettle as the Peterson brass fire-forms well, it would suggest either the load is too mild to stretch the case to fill the chamber or the brass is springy enough to return partially in some cases.  If that's the situation then further resizing and firing is unlikely to match them up as the brass work hardens unless annealed first.

1.557 would appear to be the chamber limit to case expansion, maybe accept that there's a difference and neck size the batch only for one more cycle and see if the other cases creep forward?  After that you can knock back the shoulders equally on subsequent sizings.

I only use Lapua brass and I've never seen an issue in 6.5CM .308, .223 or .338LM, always get a nice firearm and knock back the shoulders 2thou each reload.  I anneal after four cycles and I've never had a case split or head separate in over a dozen reloads (usually my limit as primer pockets go slack).

Sound advice thank you , I use primarily Lapua or Norma and never have issues normally.  Even a batch of starline wasn't bad at all . Trying to get some quality 6 creedmoor brass but you know how things are at the minute lol .