Travel with a firearm

Hello,

Trying to be helpful and not sound pedantic here but I am working on the basis you are maybe travelling from Great Britain (perhaps Scotland, given your profile location?) to Northern Ireland, as Northern Ireland is part of the UK.  The reason for saying that is just that the PSNI offer the advice copied below on their website, and I think you will be a "Great Britain resident visiting NI".  I have only travelled from England to Northern Ireland by ship with my firearms (rifles) and not by air, since 2016 and the last time I did so (2017) I did not need any other authority than my domestic Firearm Certificate. The ship operators had their own procedures regarding firearm security onboard, and I had to declare I was travelling with firearms and ammunition when booking, but in terms of police requirements in NI there was nothing further to attend to.  I can't be certain, since I have never done it, but my expectation would be that you would have a similar situation when flying, abiding by the arrangements that your airline has in place for your flight/firearms, but not needing any other authority in NI than your GB FAC.  I was shooting at a rifle club there and so the NI club stored my rifles and ammunition, having notified the PSNI they would be doing so.

I hope that is helpful, and if you would like to see where I found the information, or if your circumstances are not as I have supposed (and apols for that!) then the link is;

https://www.psni.police.uk/request/request-firearm-licence

Thanks

Adrian

Great Britain residents visiting NI

From May 2016 firearm and shotgun certificates issued in Great Britain are valid in Northern Ireland. No further documentation is required to enable Great Britain certificate holders to travel to Northern Ireland with their firearms. However in Northern Ireland airguns of over one joule and over are considered firearms. If you wish to bring such an airgun to Northern Ireland, you must apply for a Northern Ireland certificate of approval (Form 30/15). There is a fee of £11.00 for this documentation. Please apply at least 8 weeks before your expected date of travel. This includes residents from the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.