What are 80gr Sierra varmint like?

ejg223

Edi.

Can't say wot they're like in .243 but in 6br they're accurate, just need to get the Ratwife in front of something that really needs thumping and l'll let you know.

Ratty.

I run 85grn Sierra SP varminters in my M595, 43.5grns Viht 160, 3080fps. Not at all explosive, my round of choice for fallow, muntjac and fox. Will return sub 1/2moa. Can run them faster with around 47grns of powder but the velocity gain and the accuracy loss doesn't seem to make it worthwhile running them hot.

Never tried the 80's I'm afraid, tried the 85's first when I couldn't get the Speers I'd been using and never looked back.

Pete.

Edi, I just bought some of these the other week and my initial testing showed promise for accuracy with 36.5 grs N140.

Yet to chrono them but wouldn't expect them to be very fast. Might get chance to check them this week then onto some proper targets.

Thanks for the replies,

I'll give them a go. Need them mainly for fox, but they might

be good for sika does and calves. Mainly neck anyway.

I found 70gr sxsp hornady not to be as explosive as expected.Not

nearly as explosive as say a 52grainer in a 22-250.

Eldon, your 243 is a sako or? What COL are you running?

edi

Edi, yes sako 75.

OAL set at moment to 2.635" which is from sierra data if I remember rightly. Using the 140 as I have some but other powders may give better velocity. Was testing at 175 yds and the set up seemed poor postion etc but still acheived 1/2 MOA.

Edi, yes sako 75.

OAL set at moment to 2.635" which is from sierra data if I remember rightly. Using the 140 as I have some but other powders may give better velocity. Was testing at 175 yds and the set up seemed poor postion etc but still acheived 1/2 MOA.

Eldon, thanks.

got to sort stock and scope on the remmy first before I can do any serious testing.

Your sako seems to be flying it, well done.

edi

Yes, well pleased I stuck with my initial intention rather than swaying to something else.

Have a 7x50 meopta on mine as trying to keep it light and handy for fox and deer. Fancy trying some heads around 70 grains to get the speed up but the shop only had the 1515's or some match heads. Supply and thus choice locally seems quite poor at the moment.

My plan is to have the 243 "light" without mod or even bipod

for longer walks after deer. Or stick a mod and bipod on for

foxes and crows. Anyway the 6.5-20 conquest will go on.

I'll try make a stock first, if time allows.

The remmy seems fairly accurate, with a 6x42 fixed chinese scope

she printed about 1/2" with 70gr sxsp 39gr varget.

edi

Are both lugs engaging :D , test with black marker.

Remingtons usually respond well to a bit of mild lapping. Mic the sizes first and then you know your not going too far off for headspace.

Fancy a turreted scope so I can run x2 zero's for with and without mod like you.

Are both lugs engaging :rolleyes: , test with black marker.

Remingtons usually respond well to a bit of mild lapping. Mic the sizes first and then you know your not going too far off for headspace.

Fancy a turreted scope so I can run x2 zero's for with and without mod like you.

Of course both lugs are not engaging. Right, better to measure first.

Must also rework the mounts.... the classic line of S&B does not have

enough windage for the crooked remmy . Really best to have a milling machine,

flat bed grinder and lathe when investing in a remmy. I'll get her right, in a while. ;)

The two zero's work very well. Most reliable I think is when the mod has good clearance. If a

bit tight one shot out of many might be a flyer.

edi

Edi, for your reference. I was out rabbiting tonight with the 22 and hastily chrono'd the 1515's. Although not totally conclusive as I only got 3 readings, it might give you a ball park figure

Barrel i think is 22" sako 75 ,1515 sierra bullets, 36.5 grs N140, sako full sized cases, cci primers, 2.635 OAL velocity 2953 fps.

As anticipated not the fastest, expected just short of 3000fps, but seems a good load for me till I pick up some alternative powder.

Just thinking about your scope problem, why don't you use leupold mounts and then you can have as much windage as you want/need ?

Eldon,

that n140 sounds like a nice and mild load.

In a week or two I'll get my schmidt back and a rail for sako. I'll then

arrange the scopes the way I want em.

At least I brought a few 2 piece rail mounts from the states so I can mess

around with them maybe redrill the holes and center em. They only cost around $5-6.

Millet mounts used to work a treat for windage centering on the CZ.

Would be a pain trying to find Leupold mounts here.

Finally starting to make a stock for that remmy this weekend.

post pictures once it's together.

edi

Leupolds mounts are easy to get here, the offers there.

Pm me the sizes if you decide to go down that route and I'll find some prices.

Thanks, Eldon.

I'm going the route of getting the rail centered on the remmy and a

rail on my sako, then I can swop scopes around anyway I want.

I've got 30mm recknagel mounts already and might get a 1" set for the conquest.

I think they are real good quality.

Thanks for the offer. :unsure:

edi

• 1 month later...

Edi the following picture is the result of a Sierra #1515 @ 2950 fps shot freehand at a distance of 50 yds.

As can be seen the bullet was quite explosive hitting the cub on the front right shoulder and exiting just in front of the left hip.

scotlandmay09008.jpg

The boot is intended to give you some scale.

Not sure whether these would be a good choice on deer or not.

They should be fine on deer. Sierra thicken the jackets at the bottom half of the bullet at 80grns and over. The largest deer I've killed to date with the 85grn bullet went 192lbs ready for the larder with a heart shot at 190yds. If there was any problem with them at all I wouldn't use them, I kill up to 50 fallow a year, the majority shot with the 85's, quite happy with them on fox as well, they're not to hard that you hit the fox and then have to spend a long time searching for them. Some 6mm bullets just drill straight through fox with little expansion. I used to prefer Speer 85grn SP's but they became too much of a pain to source at times.

Pete.

In 6mm for explosive results on foxs then the 65gr VMAX is my bullet of choice, no need to drive them that fast either, from my PPC they do about 3325fps.

A friend use to shoot foxes with factory 100gr loads, they always drilled through, even length wise a new bum hole every time almost the same size as when it went in. He has now seen the error of his ways and uses lighter more frangable bullets.

A

Eldon, in the meantime I've knocked a few myself with that 80gr. I think Pete is right they should be ok on deer buy judging the results on the foxes. Always seems to have an exit, not quite as hefty as your cub but maybe because I didn't take a shoulder going in. Shot three foxes this week, 40yd, 300yd and 420 isch. I think the BC on the data might be a bit understated, compared to a Hornady 70gr sx the 80 sierra shoots much flatter at over 500yds. 40gr N140 in the 243 seem to do the trick.

Up to now I'm impressed, they could be a good compromise.

edi

I have found these to be a good bullet in my gun so I am pleased you all agree they will be a fine deer bullet. Certainly pleased with the accuracy of these as they are the first 6 mm head I have tried.

Edi, I will work up to your 40 grain load but at the moment I can't get hold of any more heads so I stopped at the first node all be it a very mild load. These 1515 do seem quite explosive as I shot some rabbits yesterday at 200 yds and on one body hit the exit wound had visible fragments of lead around it.

What velocity are you getting at 40 grains N140? ( barrel length ?)

I have found these to be a good bullet in my gun so I am pleased you all agree they will be a fine deer bullet. Certainly pleased with the accuracy of these as they are the first 6 mm head I have tried.

Edi, I will work up to your 40 grain load but at the moment I can't get hold of any more heads so I stopped at the first node all be it a very mild load. These 1515 do seem quite explosive as I shot some rabbits yesterday at 200 yds and on one body hit the exit wound had visible fragments of lead around it.

What velocity are you getting at 40 grains N140? ( barrel length ?)

The load seems very mild in my rifle, no idea about speed. I just tried 3200 fps in a ballistic program and have a feeling she prints a bit high far out. At least I missed a few crows high at around 500yds. But I need to verify that. Rifle is the remmy sps stainless sporter 24".

According to Vit. the max would be 41.3gr with a 80grainer. So a bit of reserve.

Bigger problem is I need to find a better trigger if I get around to it. Imagine a ruger shooter had a shot with my remmy and said the trigger is sh** .

edi

I put a rifle basix trigger on my 700 VS and its cock on. No creep and good feel to it. Mines the LRV or is it ERV model up to 1 1/2 lbs.

Not sure if the spring tension screw had vibrated loose but noticed recently it had gone real light. Took it out of the stock and measured it at 200 g ;) now that is a bit too light for my liking.

A bit of tuning and clear nail varnish and we are set back up at 1 1/2 lbs. ;)

Would recommend.

I put a rifle basix trigger on my 700 VS and its cock on. No creep and good feel to it. Mines the LRV or is it ERV model up to 1 1/2 lbs.

Not sure if the spring tension screw had vibrated loose but noticed recently it had gone real light. Took it out of the stock and measured it at 200 g ;) now that is a bit too light for my liking.

A bit of tuning and clear nail varnish and we are set back up at 1 1/2 lbs. ;)

Would recommend.

I saw your post on the other thread, sounds good. I'm tempted, main problem is switching between rifles. One with a 700g trigger and the other with ... hell knows 7 pounds..

edi

Archived