What i've been up to for the last couple of days

I arrived down south (Wiltshire actually) at about 6.00 pm on Thursday, after an invite from a lad on another forum who had asked for some help with a deer cull as he does not have a deer legal calibre until he has done is DSC1, within an hour of me arriving we were out through the door and down to the permission. As we pulled in gate of the first field we saw something up the hedge line to our right, a quick look through the bino's and it confirmed a buck and 2 does laying down, so we got out of the vehicle and got geared up to stalk round on them, we would go across on field onto another, around the back of the pond and come up on them down wind, as we came into the second field we manage to spot another 5 deer across it about 250-300yrds, but with no easy way to stalk onto them without them seeing us, we decide to go for the original 3. We then go around the pond and come on to the group, I noticed that they had now stood up and were nibbling at the hedgerow, we stepped over a barbed wire fence and got to within 150 yrds at which point i went on to behind an oak tree in front and Kevin stayed back a little to not spook them and hopefully get me a shot. I crept forward and lay down to the side of the tree about 120yrds from the beasts, id roped the bipod and readied the rifle for the shot and send a 100grn Nosler on its merry way and and you hear the thump of a definite hit, at which point the buck drops and stays down. We wait a few minutes to make sure it does not move and we walk over to where it lay. A quick poke in the eye confirms its dead and Kevin congratulates me on a perfect heart shot, which is clearly evident when we groloch the beast as the 6.5 x 55 100grn bullet had completely pulverized the heart.

we then moved on to stalk the group that were in the second field, but even after a 150 crawl through the wet grass, a safe shot is not possible because of horses in the field behind and we decide to call it a night.

IMAGE_021.jpg

IMAGE_022.jpg

Part 2,

Myself and Kevin got up at about 5am and over coffee decided on the plan of action for the mornings little foray, we decided to go back to the place we went last night and have a look to see if the 5 deer were still in the area from the night before, as we pulled into the gate on the first field we again spotted a deer along the hedge line, but a quick look through the bino’s confirmed is was a doe. so we headed off on a different route to last night to try and intercept the deer without them seeing us, we walked down around to the right hand side this time along the front of a small wood and should come out with the animals up head if they were still there, as we walked down a nice big fox ran out from the hedge and across the field to our left ,we stalked along the front of the wood and up a slight rise, as we came over the crest we saw a deer in the far corner nibbling at the hedge and a look through the bino’s confirmed and nice cull buck with slightly deformed antlers ( see photos ) the deer then turned and spotted us but was not quite sure what we were and came across the field for a closer look ( camo is working :rolleyes: ) as he starts to walk across i get down on the bipod and get ready for him to stop, he keeps coming stopping for a split second and looking still trying to work out what we are, when he got to about 60yrds he stopped for long enough to get a shot of and a 100grn ballistic tip hits in the side for another text book heart shot and down he goes & all is silent with no movement from the Roe Buck, he would of made a lovely 6 pointer apart from the deformed antler and ended up as a 5 & a half pointer .

IMAGE_023.jpg

Part 3:-

After grolloching the 6 pointer and putting it into the vehicle, Kevin says we should go and have a look at the main farm as he has seen quite a few animals on there and thinks one of them has a deformed antler, i said if we could find him he would make for another good cull Buck and help Kevin get some better animals on the land and also help get some of the animals down that the farmer was worried about.

so we got to the farm and drove through the yard and along a nice concrete track that splits the farm in two, as we are driving down i notice a brown lump in the field to our right at about 500 yrds away and at first think it’s just another hare ( seen quite a few about), but a look through the bino’s confirms it’s another buck laying out on his own. We decided to stalk in on him as this is where Kevin has seen the animal that he wants to cull, so we head of down the hedge line with a small patch of trees in front hiding us from the deer’s view, as we get down to where i we saw him i start to crawl in along a track and around a gate so i can get a good view at the beast and see if he is the one were after - Bingo he is the one and has got a nice 2 points on one side but only a single spike on the other, so as he is still laying down but looking straight at me, i decide to take a neck shot and send another bullets on its travels and hits home with a nice thump and the buck falls silent again.

IMAGE_026.jpg

IMAGE_025.jpg

Right then Part 4:-

We were unsure whether to go out stalking on Friday evening or go foxing, as we had seen 2 whilst walking the dogs out during daylight without a care in the world ( quite common down there apparently), but this was decided when Kevin’s wife got home and said she needed the 4x4 in the morning to tow the horse box, so we decided to go Roe stalking that evening and go out for an early fox and muntjack in the morning or a different permission that is at the back of the house before i came home.

We set off to what is now being known as Roe city and parked up the vehicle, checked the wind and set off down the field to our right keeping close to the downwind side hedge line ,Anyway we cut back through the hedge line after seeing some rump patches in the next but one field. We move very slowly up to the hedge line directly in front of us and take a look through the hedge-bino’s out and check the three beasts - at approx 220yds, there are 2 does standing and a young buck in velvet, lay down couched. I then went into action man mode and slid belly down under the fence through the hedge and proceeded to crawl some 100yds to get the shot, the Does were getting jumpy as I approached , but the Buck just stayed put. I lined up for a neck shot but the Buck was constantly moving its head, then the Buck stood up ,shook, and presented a perfect side on shot at 110 yrds! I then fire off a round through his chest& destroy his heart with another 100 grain ballistic tip

IMAGE_027.jpg

IMAGE_029.jpg

Saturday morning did not produce the expected goods( we did see 2 foxes, but they wouldn’t play ball), but it was an excellent couple of days and i was very pleased with the results.

Hi Paul,

Well done fella and good right up. Thanks for the venison, it was stunning ( some left for you when you get round here later).

All the best,

Jay.

Well done Paul

Thought you might thank who took you out.

Guy doesn't use this forum so little point on here - he was thanked on the other and said the rather large bottle of brandy i left him was thanks enough.

Well done Paul

Thought you might thank who took you out.

A rather uncalled for post being as Paul stated from the beginning his host was off another site and rather presumptuous that he wasn`t thanked personally on the day :rolleyes:

Good write up Paul and keep them coming :D

A rather uncalled for post being as Paul stated from the beginning his host was off another site and rather presumptuous that he wasn`t thanked personally on the day :rolleyes:

Good write up Paul and keep them coming :D

Sorry missed that bit thought it was posted on here for the person that took him out .

But like i said Well done Paul

Well thats the last write i do :D

Grumpy old sod, give us chance to read it! :D

Nice write up. I enjoyed reading it. With all clean drops I'd like to know more about the bullets you use in your 6.5. 100grn is quite light for the calibre but it sounds like they work pretty well. What load do you use? I've never gone as low as 100 in my rifle but think I may try making some up for Foxing. They would be great if they work on the Deer too. Have you ever tried them on bigger beasts?

Grumpy old sod, give us chance to read it! :D

Nice write up. I enjoyed reading it. With all clean drops I'd like to know more about the bullets you use in your 6.5. 100grn is quite light for the calibre but it sounds like they work pretty well. What load do you use? I've never gone as low as 100 in my rifle but think I may try making some up for Foxing. They would be great if they work on the Deer too. Have you ever tried them on bigger beasts?

41grn of Varget, 100grn Nosler balistic tips, CCI BR primers, lapua Cases, Oal 2.850 - they have droped fallow no worries at all and make a nice hole in charlie too!!!

41grn of Varget, 100grn Nosler balistic tips, CCI BR primers, lapua Cases, Oal 2.850 - they have droped fallow no worries at all and make a nice hole in charlie too!!!

Good write up, I enjoyed it. Thanks for the info too :)

ft

Guest varmartin

tulkyuk....please don't think your hard work and time put into producing a fine post goes unnoticed....

The longer this site runs the more info is available to us all...

I usually only get a fleeting chance to catch up with the new posts, let alone monitor current involvement in other posts..

Sometimes I wonder how a post can get missed or how many times a post has been read with only a few replies.

i am sure your post was appreciated by all who read it, its just sometimes a correspondence is denied for what ever reason...

Keep up the good work...I thought you had an excellent few days stalk with great results ...well done mate .

I'm using 43 grains of Varget in my 6.5x55 with cci BR primers, Norma brass and 2.945" O.A.L.

I'm noting all this down, many thanks.

ft

ps, The post really was a good read, all this and info too! How good can it get ;)

I'm noting all this down, many thanks.

ft

ps, The post really was a good read, all this and info too! How good can it get ;)

Forgot to say this is with a 100grn nosler BT and it's 0.5 of a grain off the max load.

This load seems to be the most accurate in my finnlite and it's pushing just over 3000fps in a 20" barrel.

ATB

Moses

Archived