14" .243 barrel

Scotch_egg

Can any one offer advice in regards to chopping my .243 down to 14" I will be using it as my truck gun for foxing with my jet-z mod. I plan to use 75gr v max my preffered fox round.

on a side note any one know where I can pick up a 6mmbr barrel for my TC encore.

Dave

Hi mate I had a TC for a while ,I think that Viking Arms had a 243 tube in stock , but this was a little while ago .

Also Try Brian Fox (Fox Firearms ) he did know of someone with some bits and pieces.

Good Luck Andy :lol:

If you cut your .243 to 14" you'll lose a great deal of velocity and should get a muzzle flash about a yard long, not enough barrel to burn all the powder I would imagine. Very popular on Guy Fawkes night though. :D

Pete.

You will loose about 80-100 fps per inch removed from memory, so maybe 1400 fps. the 55gr pill will then be doing about 2500 fps. 75gr dont know but someone with Quickload handy could tell you. Be Ok as long as you dont go much beyond 150 yards, not sure the remaining energy level would keep it deer legal though. That in turn might give you issues with your FEO if he is switched on.

A

Thanks for the replies guys. I think that puts an end to that idea. I liked the idea of a short rifle that will poke out the window of the land rover cab. I wouldn't plan on using it for deer after the chop as I have my trusty 7-08 for that job.

If any one does have quickload I would appreciate it if they could run the load through to see how short I could realistically go. I don't reach further than 300 yards at night. Hence the interest in the 6mmbr barrel for reaching out in daylight hours

I'd agree with menal1, my 243 is chopped down to 16 inch and iv got a large muzzle flash with a moderate charge of varget in the daylight, that type of flash lampin would just destroy you nightvision, would have to sit in the truck with your eyes shut for 10 minutes before you went and picked up charly or you'd end up falling over it!

6BR is a much better round for the average charlie, little recoil, less noise, easier to shoot and just as dead. Feed it 65/70 gr Vmax/NBTS and away you go.

A

No worry whatsoever re 14" barrel.

Don Bower has been using that length barrel for years and can put 3 shots into 1 1/2" at 500 yards all day long wih a 6mm pistol, as he can with his 22, 6.5, 7mm, 30 and 358. All very short barrels

Just use the right powder to ensure a satisfactory burn.

Email me for an article on Don and hist long range pistols at mry716@hotmail.com.

14" is way too short. Target shooters lob pills at more than 500 yds but the velocity and energy are way down, doesnt need anything to punch a hole in paper! dont know about the legality as pistols are banned here anyway, but it would have no resale value if you came to part with it.

20" would be fine and with an over barrel moderator pretty handleable for almost all situations. I dont have and dont allow loaded rifles in the jeep, so it isnt really an issue, pull up spot charlie, out the window and gently load a round ( I single load usually so that your not racking the bolt and making noise.

Hasty shots are rarely good and stop the safety thinking processes, which can lead to other problems, I havent lost a fox etc through taking a safe considered shot, a quick squeak or cough will hold its attention normally for long enough.

Redfox

I think (having run the data) that it may be an interesting proposition.

14" barrel, 65gr hornady v max, 43.5grs of vvn140 gives you 3010fps and 1307ft/lbs

I think that just may be enough for Basils!

It will also do c 2900 with the 87gr hpbt.

Regards

Gareth

Well I've had a chat with my smith and he will be making the chop for me. This will not be a pistol and I will be keeping the thumbhole stock. As stated it will be used with my jet-z mod. I prefer it over my PES t12.

In relation to the question of safety, thats one of the reasons I selected the single shot encore with visible hammer.

Zaitsev, many thanks for running the data. It reinforced my decision no end.

Also got a supplier for my 6mmbr barrel.

Cheers Folks

I'll keep you updated when the work has been carried out.

• 1 month later...
Shrek, do you get the muzzle flash when using a mod?

I'm looking forward to the 6mmbr. I'm working on the pretence that it'll manage 5 rounds to every 4 of the .243.

Just need a uk supplier now.Can any one help?

Hi scotch egg, sorry i never noticed you asked me about the muzzle fash,

Havent tried it with a mod on, was in the process of building a mod for it but realised that the barrle is truly shot out, pitted, scored and firecracked in other words "F***ED" so it back in the safe waiting for me to get the lead out ond fit a 243 ackley tube on it!

Archived