"Accurizing" bulk/factory ammo COAL. Worth it?

mematyi

Hi Guys!

First of all, thank you for having me 😁 I am here to gather information about more European varminting & reloading practices, with available products and components.

I've been an avid reloader, and informal target shooter for years. I've learnt a lot about various reloading techniques, practics, but I think I did not see any topics regarding my questions.

What do you think, is it worth going over factory(of course not crimped) ammo, particularly to even out its COAL differences.

Long story short:

I've recently got a NIB CZ527 223 Varmint model from '03. I haven't shot it yet, but managed to get S&B bulk FMJ and Fiocchi EPN(Amax) 50gr ammo, essentially for their cases.

Immediately noticed the large variations in OAL with both ammo, sometimes as much as 0.020" to the extremes. The fmj bulk stuff is crimped, but the Amax loading is certainly not.

I've read that this ammo works quite well for many CZ527 shooters with the 1:12" barrels. Will this action enhance its precision?

I thought reseating them to the shortest average COAL with a seating die.

My guess is that it's not worth it. When totalling up all of the variables, including CZ's (usually) generous throating of their chambers, adjusting seating depth won't do much. You could, as an experiment, randomly select a couple of 20 round LOTs. Rework one lot, leave the other.

I have the same rifle, same vintage. Shoots 50 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips exceedingly well.~ Andrew