Torque setting for my Apex Picatinny riser.??

chaz

Hi folks,

I am in the process of swapping scopes about. And for various reasons I ended up having an APEX UK steel picatinny Riser on my Tikka TAC1 . I've have the rifle a few years but I've not used it that much. Anyway, this morning I had to remove the riser and put it back on, but I can't recall what the torque force should be. Could anyone enlighten me with the torque? I was thinking around 35 - 40 LBS. ???

Any constructive advice appreciated.

Just to add, I've made several calls to Apex UK with no reply....

Cheers.

Chaz.

General torque settings:

M4 high tensile screws into steel,  25 inch pounds is about correct.

M5 high tensile screws into steel, 35 inch pounds is about right.

In both cases the threads should be clean and dry with Loctite.  Don't over lubricate as it's likely to overstretch the fastener.

Am I right to assume you're talking about the screws that clamp the rail down onto the action?  If so, what do Tikka recommend ?

Hi Popsbengo.

The X4 M5 fixing bolts are actually threaded grub screws of the same width from top to bottom, and do not screw into the rifle's action rail at all. The Apex rail has to slide over and under the actions picatinny rail. Then by tightening the grub screws up on the Apex riser rail, they then can either be screwed down onto the top or bottom of the actions o/e rail system. This then forces the Apex rail to pull up tighter underneath the more you screw down. If that makes sense?

And embarrassingly I didn't look on the Tikka site, just the Apex UK site today.... I suppose as I'm not 100% sure the grub screws are steel, although thinking about it, they're highly likely to be.

And thanks for the tip on not much oil and use a dab of thread-lock.