Dangerous practices

dogfox1

Hi,

Now having looked twice down the barrel of centre fire rifle as the owners search the hedge rows looking for a foxes etc, looking through their rifle scopes with a loaded rifle.

I might add on both occasions the offenders should not have been out as they did not ring the keeper for permission like I did.

Please take a pair of binoculars or if you use a night sight buy some night vision to go with it. Its now a common dangerous practise to search for eye shine looking through the night sight.

Get a IR for your night vision if you need that as well.

The common reply to this concern is that, the safety was on!!!!

We a have duty to ensure all the new comers to the sport start off the right way.

It might a good idea to add a sticky to this keep it near the top.

Dogfox1

Thanks for the heads up on this one, its a potential disaster waiting to happen. It has always struck me as funny in the sense that to buy a moderater we need a peice of paper saying we are entitled to buy one. And yet no permissons or qualifications are needed to buy a night sight. I truley hope we never need to have a peice of paper to purchase one, but imho the night sight can be far more dangeroos if not used correctly than a moderater.

Thanks Mark

I'm afraid that it's not waiting to happen Spud, it has. If you recall a couple of years ago three people were shot dead in separate incident involving cowboys out night shooting. Lets just hope that the lunatics that seem to be running the asylum these days never get thier way and legalise night shooting of deer or you can bet that there will be more fatalities. I would never advocate more restrictions on our work and sport but I have to say that I know of several idiots that should never have been granted FAC's. JC

Hi Spud,

Its not night sights which I am knocking, its use the use of any sighting devise mounted on a gun being used as a visual aid for spotting one's quarry.

Whether it be a day light scope or a night sight, its just a dangerous practice.

Lots of us have foot path's across the land which we shoot on, and for instance watching a walker move out of one's field of fire with either a day light or night sight is extremely dangerous, not that I have heard of it happening but I am sure it does.

we have a duty to ensure all the new comers to the to sport start off the right away or no matter how loud the individuals are, that should know better.

Dogfox1

Guest martin

I have personal experience of someone looking through their scope to see what another shooter was doing,and,that was the last time he ever came out with me.I'm sure it happens a lot though,we must be vigilant...........'M'

Archived