.223 1:9 twist accuracy load please

Offroad Gary

can anyone advise what might be the most accurate round/load for my new rifle - its a model 70 coyote .223 with 24" barrell 1:9 twist, i've currently tried h4895 with 50gn vmax and can get sub moa easily with 26, 26.5 and 27gn loads which is fine for hunting. i would really like to develop something really accurate/consistent for target work - any advice on bullet/powder to start with? cheers in advance..

in my RPA 1-9" twist 24" i was using 24.5gr of N140 with 69gr Matchking or scenar @ 2.269 (i think)

velocity was 2950fps and 1/2" at 200yards..

any thoughts on dropping to 40gn's for hunting out of the same gun? any advantage over the 50gn's that i'm currently using??

drop seems not much different at 300 yrds.

cheers

My cooper .223 has a 1-9 twist barrel, it shoots 50gn bullets very well,

i would try 75gn Amax with your H4895 powder,

my rifle shoots them superb, they are very good for long range shots,

these are my fav rounds for everything,

hope they work as good for you.

I did try some 36gn varmint grenades, they were ok for upto 200yds,

after that they did not perform very good, most rabbits needed a follow up shot,

the 75 Amax is good at all ranges.

john

thanks,

shot my first charlie with it last night, 380 yards with 50gn vmax, 27gn h4895. aimed at its ears and knocked its front legs off!!

i will try some different bullets when i get chance. i also did a rabbit at about 80 yards - :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

now got a T4 mod fitted to it - shooting even sweeter.

its easily doing 1/2" groups @ 100 with 50gn ballistic tips over 27gn H4895.

Hi you asked for a target load? try 69smk,s 10 thou off and go through 23.5,24,and 24.5 of vit 140 and berger 70 vlds 10 thou in with same load development or berger 73g bts on same charges and am sure you will find a sweet spot.onehole.

What cases you using to get 27 grn of h4895 in ?

federal, remington and some other odds and sods

some are pretty full, others have a bit spare up the neck

to get the most accurate round keep it under 3100fps and get your shell cases as full as you can with out going over the top :D

can anyone advise what might be the most accurate round/load for my new rifle - its a model 70 coyote .223 with 24" barrell 1:9 twist, i've currently tried h4895 with 50gn vmax and can get sub moa easily with 26, 26.5 and 27gn loads which is fine for hunting. i would really like to develop something really accurate/consistent for target work - any advice on bullet/powder to start with? cheers in advance..

75grn A-Max over Viht 140, start around 22.5grns and work up carefully. In a Steyr I had in 1in9, I sometimes thought I had missed the target entirely second or third shot, but found them to be nearly going down the same hole on still days. A bit slow and loopy but you did ask for most accurate rather than outright speed.

Pete.

Archived