Hodgdon powders

nuttyspaniel

Ive been trawling through my data and noticed the H4350 and H414 can produce almost identical results. But the 4350 can go onto a compressed load whilst the 414 doesnt also the 414 produces less psi. I know that th 414 is a spherical powder whilst the 4350 is an extruded powder. Is this the only difference between them or am I missing something else about these 2 powders? And how would you choose which to use or try 1st?

Hi John hows tricks??. My mate used the H4350 with good result in 25cal. I use H4831(sc)/RE22/N160 & Varget in the same cal & as with powders & time you will get them all to shoot. H4831(sc) can be a barrel burnner in the likes of 6.5x284 when strings of shots are fired at once as it burns very hot so im told. All in all john you will get either to work for you but the ball type powder is a more harder powder to work with you have to be very careful or it's awhy.

Nutty,

If you are going down the H4350 route make sure you get H4350Ext, straight H4350 is temperature sensitive, i found this out when developing a load for my 243 AI, a warm load developed in January turned into a super hotty in June, had to knock the bolt up with a mallet and had bulged cases and loose primer pockets.

Ian.

Cheers lads.

Nutty,

If you are going down the H4350 route make sure you get H4350Ext, straight H4350 is temperature sensitive, i found this out when developing a load for my 243 AI, a warm load developed in January turned into a super hotty in June, had to knock the bolt up with a mallet and had bulged cases and loose primer pockets.

Ian.

Ian thanks for that input that has definately helped me make my choice.

Im using Imr 4350 in my .243AI and in my 7rem mag. works very well.

How does IMR compare to the straight H powders for temp sensitivity?

Archived