.243 pet loads?

craigyboy

A mate just got a winchester m70 in .243 and is already crying about the price of ammo, as he doesnt load himself he wants me to get him started on loading show him whats what etc (Like I even know what Im doing ;) ) anyhow the rifle wont be used on deer so we are not to concerned with deer legal bullets, he will be mainly using it at the range so just what ever is best in accuracy and possibly could be mail ordered which would be handy, a-max, bergers? It will likely get used for a bit of foxing but not much. So whats a good powder, primer and bullet combo to start on? I know every rifle is different but surely there are certain powders and bullets that just seem to work well for .243. Just want to try and get it right off the bat, not sure what twist the barrel is but probably jsut what most .243 hunting style rifles come with.

Craigy here's one that worked very well for me.

Lapua case loaded with 46.5grns of Win760, pushing a 70grn SMK seated just touching the lands, all sparked off by a Fed 210M primer.

Velocity 3300fps+ with sub 1/2moa form a Rem 700 PSS. ;)

NOTE, THIS LOAD WAS SAFE IN MY RIFLE BUT MAY NOT BE IN ANOTHER PLEASE APPROACH THIS DATA WITH CAUTION

Ian.

PS. if you cant get Win760 try H380 its almost the same burning rate.

Im using prvi partizan brass fire formed in my rifle, 95 grn sst, vectan tu7000 (41.5grn) and a remington mag primer aol as sammi 2.71". Velocity Im unsure of but if the data is correct it will be around 2900 fps. Im getting .75" groups with this load out of my sako.

Ive just checked the data again and I think Ill need to chrono this load as it may be over 3000fps!!! The 100grn load with the same amount of powder is doing almost 3100 fps! And a 87 grn bullet with a fraction more powder is doing ovber 3200 fps!!!

This load is safe in my rifle and may not be in another!!

Hi pard, this is what works for me at 100 yds.

41.5gns RL 19 Lapua cases, 90gr Nosler bt. OAL 2.650 and doing 3136 fps. This is loaded to sammi spec, and as you will see it works well in a bog standard off the shelf CZ .243

The one shot high was the first shot through a clean barrel but as you can see the other 4 were all sat together.

243groupof0157ge8.jpg

Please note this load is safe in my rifle.

Archived