pro`s and con`s on skining a deer

just to start with i am new to deer shooting but i have shot a few deer but i sell mine with the jacket on.i skined my first deer 4 nights ago on a young fellow buck why he was still warm and his jacket came off really easy it took no more than a few mins .and i was just thinking does it get harder to take the jacket of if the deer is left to get cold and also if the deer is older ? and is red deer harder to skin than fellow ? iv only skined this one becouse im having this one for my self

thanks bigun

It is a lot easier to get the skin off warm and generally I would say larger deer are easier to work with age should not make any difference.

Munties are notoriously difficult as they can be really fiddly and they have quite a thick skin.

ATB

Moses

I've had some red stags in the rut that were very hard to skin around the neck area. They are much easier to do warm. I set my new PB last night with the roe doe. It took 40 minuets to gralloch, skin, joint and freezer bag. Then again reds seem to take 2-3 hours do to the sheer size of working on them...

cheers lads ,that has helped me know end and it will save me a lot of time over the years to come .warm it is then ;)

Tiff,

40 mins? have you tried using a sharp knife yet?

No that would make it too easy ;)

Would be interesting to hear how other get on time wise......For some reason on roe from pulling the trigger to 6 joints and 2 fillets in the freezer (excluding travel) I can never seem to get under 40-43 minuets? Sounds daft timing it, but in the summer when you shoot 3 and don't get home till 11.00pm, it's strange how the mind wanders :huh:

Never timed myself on the jointing front, but could get down to 13 minutes from deer on floor through to gralloch, inspect, skinned, and area cleaned to abattoir grade standard carcase. So long as nobody else was around to get in the way pick my knives up etc!!!

Just like anything, you do it enough times you get good at it!!

Just like shooting deer/fox/fruit I guess!!!

DSC_0109.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

Archived