The end to my Roe Doe Season

Work has got in the way of my stalking over the last two weeks so today would be my last chance at the Roe doe’s (moving house next week!!!!!)

I arrived at my mate’s at 5.30am and the sun was already rising, we left the farm and were off to the estate.

The plan was for me to sit in the high seat and my mate stalk the wood, hopefully moving anything in the wood towards me.

I got out of the Landrover and got ready to stalk down to the high seat, I got into a small gully and a Muntjac ran in front of me to my left into some cover, so I got ready with the rifle, one ran to my right and out of sight then another one ran to my right but stopped for a look, big mistake, my 130grain bullet dropping it on the spot some 40 yards in front of me. My mate was on the walkie talkie “that didn’t take long!!” “Yep one muntie doe” I replied, I done the gralloch and left it there as I had to stalk to the high seat and didn’t want to carry it with me, as it was just off the track for the way out.

106_1568.jpg

I made it to the high seat but didn’t see anything, so I safely climbed into the seat and waited. After about 45 mins I saw some movement to my left 180 yards away, I glassed with my bins and it was a Doe and a kid, but there was no chance of a shot due to some branches. I watched them walk down into the wood but not shot was available, I toyed with the idea of getting out of the seat and trying to stalk them but thought better of it, I was playing the waiting game.

I lost sight of them, so scanned the wood for any other movement, then where I first spotted the pair, there was a lone kid, and it followed the same path.

About 30 mins later my mate was on the radio saying where he was and to keep a look out for any movement, then to my right I spotted a Roe Doe, so told my mate not to rush as I needed the Doe to move past some branches for a clear shot.

The Doe moved to my right and into the clear for a shot, at 98 yards I settled the cross-hairs on her chest and squeezed of my shot, she ran some 20 yards and dropped, I had another round in the chamber in a flash and was on her if a second shot would be needed. No other movement form her, then something caught my eye to the right, I checked with the bins, it was a Buck Kid, then to the left was the mother, both stood there not a care in the world??

Neither was in a position for a shot so I waited for about 10 mins then the Adult Doe moved to the left and into a clear spot for a shot, cross-hairs on her chest and she dropped where she stood at 115 yards away, another round in the chamber and the Buck Kid was stood there, then moved to see why mum was having a rest, cross-hairs on his chest and he ran a few yards and dropped.

A cracking morning, a good end to my Doe season, can’t wait for the Roe Bucks. ( I still got some Fallow buck to catch up with as well)

The Adult Doe

106_1570.jpg

The Buck Kid

106_1571.jpg

The Adult Doe and Buck kid, left and right in the pic

106_1573.jpg

All three

106_1575.jpg

nice story, are you happy with the ammount of damage your bullets are doing?.Can,t understand why .270,s have a bad reputation as a meat grinder?. :huh: Dont take offence :):rolleyes::rolleyes: just curious as to why your bullets are blowing such large exit holes in the deer.

I'm happy that all the deer i have shot are dead, as for meat damage, not much difference between my .270 and my mate's .243, just depends on bullet placement.

Hi & well done nice way to end a season it must be fun being able to get munty too. As for the shots they look worse than they are do you get ruptured livers to with the shots ??. The 270 is a big round & even a 130g bullet is still carrying a good bit velocity too much really hence it is pulling the gutt's out with the shot. I get the same with my deer shots odd times with my 25/06 but i mellow it off best i can for my deer rounds.

I use a 6.555 and a 7mm rem mag and if i stick to a good quality soft point like a partition get a small exit no bruseing and a very dead deer.never blowing holes like that and im a pro killing many, many roe a year.But things are very different if i use a plastic point.

Fair comment :wub: As i said just curious.Are they plastic points by any chance. :lol:

Hi mate,

Using factory fodder at the moment until i get my reloading bench back up and running.

Winchester 130grain soft-points.

Archived