Tikka T1X and T3x compatibility with Oryx Chassis

Is anyone able to confirm if a Tikka T1X rifle will fit into an Oryx Chasis for a T3/T3X?

The people at Oryx say no, however, from looking online it seems this is because the magazine release catch fouls the T1X magazine well but if it is removed then it may fit or is there more to it and the actual chassis is in the way? I can see why the people at Oryx would say no even if it was as simple as removing the catch because it encourages people to buy another chassis.

As I have a T3X too it would be handy to have the option in the future to swap them over if needed rather than buy another chasis.

I've fitted my T1x in a MDT XRS for a T3/T3x. I had to modify the base of the magazine slightly and remove the magazine catch (not required anyway as the T1x magazine well and catch come with the action), but other than that it fits and works a treat. Great platform too.

That's interesting to know. I assume your MDT chassis uses AI pattern mags too? 

I would have thought it would have been cheaper for Oryx to offer a redesigned base for the T1X mag rather than a different chassis inlet just for the T1X?

28 minutes ago, Nun_hunter said:

That's interesting to know. I assume your MDT chassis uses AI pattern mags too? 

I would have thought it would have been cheaper for Oryx to offer a redesigned base for the T1X mag rather than a different chassis inlet just for the T1X?

Yeah thats correct, in its T3/T3x format it takes AICS pattern mags which work great too. I'm running a T3 for my foxing setup in an XRS.

I guess you could make the oryx work (if its similar to the XRS, but I have never actually tried it), but because it isn't a straight fit MDT made another inlet? 🤷‍♂️

Just now, Nun_hunter said:

If it's just the bottom of the mag that needs a little fettling then it's worth it to have the ability to swap between rifles in the same chassis should I need to in the future

Definitely, worth a look anyway!

• 1 year later...