A day of first's

Having finished work early I got home for 4pm today. The sun was shining and I decided to have a trip over to some local ground that I picked up at Christmas. It’s within 20 miles of home, a rare thing in Derbyshire.

So I packed my bag and rifle, heading off in search of fallow. I have been out on this ground 3 times now and blanked on each outing. I am still learning the lay of the land. We have 3 high seats out and I had only used 2 so far. My intention was to find the 3rd and sit up and enjoy the sun. There was a hint of mist hanging just above the trees when I got to the ground and things felt well. The land is in a valley with heavy woods interspersed with plateaus on the steep sided banks. I headed from the car down into the valley as our land only covers the far side of the valley from the best access point down a well used farm track. As I headed into the bottom of the valley I was to be going to be heading to my left, I glassed the trees but saw no movement. As I got to the bottom I looked right and spotted 3 does 300 yards from me in a silage field. They soon made me with no cover around. Dam I thought that’s me done for the night. However I wandered on heading into the deep cover following a well used footpath. I knew I wouldn't see anything along this area due to the high number of dog walkers that think they can go anywhere. I moved quickly, I wanted to get into the high seat sharpish to allow things to settle. I reached the far end of the valley and now the climb started, it’s pretty steep on the sides of the valley. I walked about half a mile and reached the edge of the wood that borders more grazing fields, I was going to be sitting in a high seat just on the edge of the wood however the farmer was working in the field spreading muck. I decided to follow one of the well used deer paths instead of going through the field and see what I would run into.....

I had been stalking for 15 minutes when I spotted the black silhouettes only 30 yards ahead of me. Far too much cover for the possibility of a shot. I inched forward, yes a regretted at this point not taking the sticks. No shot possible and the deer skitted off. I followed again, stalk 20 yards then glass the wood then repeat. I ended up leaving the wood after 200 yards. I was again in an area of grazing of only 2 acres. I stood out in the open, sweating heavily and regretting my decision to wear a fleece under my coat. I was planning my route back to the car when I saw the does trotting just inside the wood opposite me, not 80 yards away. I instantly dropped to the floor, bi-pod up. Bugger, I had left the harris short bi-pod on from zeroing off the landy bonnet. I couldn't make a shot, the deer were standing to close together. They knew I was there and didn't stop for a shot. I spotted the high seat and decided I deserved a break. I spent not 15 minutes in the high seat before I decided I wasn't going to stay. I cooled down and made my way to the top of the hill. I was just at the top and started making my way accross the valley side through the heavy wood. I was noisy but it was unavoidable. I was heading for a footpath that goes back down the valley side back to opposite the path I had come down from the car, basically back in a complete circle. I was stalking back, the best I could given conditions. I could see an open plateau 40 yards down from where I was walking. I saw I pond and decided to head down. I was just entering the open area when 70 yards away, what I assume were the same 2 does, flicked to my right. Again I dropped to the floor with bi-pod up. This time lady luck was on my side I dropped my first fallow doe with a perfect neck shot.

This is when the real work started. I completed the gralloch and had to drag the carcass back to the car. What a nightmare. I really underestimated the weight of a fallow doe. It sure isn’t a munty or roe. It took me half an hour to reach the car. And this time I really was breathing out my backside.

What a great evening of first’s. First fallow, first deer in Derbyshire and first animal grassed with my encore .243.

Sorry no pics I forgot the camera in my excitement of getting out.

Thanks for reading.

Dave

nice going on the shooting and finding some deer land in derbyshire thats some doing ,me and my shooting buddy have just got 100 acers of land full of fellow deer but with foot paths running right in the middle of it, up on the borders of cannock chase ? its alive with deer ..alass the ground will never get passed so its to be give to a mate who will shoot it this year till i get my open ticket ,but the deal is we get one deer out of every 3 starting with the first one.. have you a buyer for your deer ?

Archived