My raid on the rabbit hedge

1967spud

Just got home from work, busy times at the moment so when i get the rifle out i try and use it to the max. My mate and I went down to one of my fields to see what was about, at the far end of the field there is a broken hedge with a few warrens run along side it.

I had a quick scan and spotted a fawn coloured rabbit, I ranged it at 363 yards and using exbal it gave me between 3.75 moa at 350 yards or 4.25 moa at 375 yards. I split the difference and went for 4 moa. I steadied the rifle using a harris bipod and shooting from the front of a td5 land rover, as any body will know who has got one have got a very thin and flimsy bonnet. I had a job to keep still on target but I let one go and bloody missed, over the top by a knats testicle.

I said to my mate that we would give it another 20 mins then go home, by the way there was no wind and was sheltered from what draught there was by a wood as well. 10 mins later a little biddler rabbit poked its head out to see if was all ok and in the end ventured out to the right down the hedge from where I had missed the first one. I ranged again and got a reading of 359 yards, I gave it 3.75 moa this time, took aim this time using an old sack I have been putting my maggies in to rest on. I only went and hit, my mate didn't believe me when I told him as his eye sight aren't the best, so I drove him down the tramlines in the barley to show him.

We went back up the field to where we were shooting from and gave it another 10 mins, i spied one through the hedge in to the next field which i pinged at 668 yards i gave it 12.75 moa and completely missed it, buy this time i had to get home.

nice one spud and welcome to the 300yd club!!!! :ph34r:;)

All the best..........

RAY........................ :D;)

Great going, welcome to the 300 yard club :lol:

We find the same with Exbal it can be one or two clicks out. The angle your shooting at can make a difference as well.

A great result and a step towards the 500 yard club.

Cheers

Dave

• 5 weeks later...

well done :) me and a mate had a go at some ballons this evening first shot was at 216 yrds on a 4" ballon useing my .204 we were on top of a hill shooting down so i aimed at it no clicks need first shot hit it ;) so we move up hill to 336 yrds 8" ballon and hit that one first shot also, moved again to 386 yrds to the top .3.50 moa three shots to hit the ballon :D not bad for saying i gave it no wind and only useing a 32g pill all good fun and are real first time at long range shooting ..will be doing a lot more now i have got my self a crf 1200 range finder today ,wind meter ,and pda ..got a few rabbits but only 179 & 174 yrds mind you first shots only all good fun ..sorry to pinch your post but had to tell some body.. :rolleyes:

Archived