MY RIFLE SHOOTS GREAT............NOW

Guest Sprags

Guest Sprags

I currently shoot a 'girly' .243, it's a Remington 700 SPS. it was shooting'ok' in my opinion, I was happily hitting targets out to 160/180yds, but a fella' who know's a little bit about rifles said he could improve the accuracy of this rifle. The first thing that was changed, after seeking the advice, was the stock, the SPS stock was taken off and replaced with a Hogue. The accuracy improved slightly..............

The 'fella' then said that it could be better still, so yesterday I travelled to this fella's place, I was greeted with a cup of tea and a sausage sandwich, what a way to start the day....... :D

Next the task at hand was to develop a load for this rifle, now this is something I have never done so I watched closely and tried to learn a thing or two. The fella set about this task and to be honest I was lost!! I did ask a few questions along the way and he did his best to explain it all in layman's terms, thanks for that :blush:

Right, we now had four different loads loaded so it was out to the 'field' to test em'. I watched as my rifle was grouping the factory ammo, that I always shot, at just under 1 inch @100yds, the 'homeloads' were next, these grouped at about the size of a 5 pence piece @ 100yds..... bloody hell I was impressed.....

After shooting some of the four different homeloads, it appeared that one was standing out above the others for accuracy, "thats the one for this rifle I reckon" he said! The rifle was set to hit 1 and 1/4 inch high at 100yds.

He then decided to test my shooting, I grouped quite well @ 100, I was impressed anyway. Then he lazered a target at 358yds, "go on then" he said,....."feckinell" I thought, so I sat the crosshair just on the top of the target and gained my composure. I gently squeezed the trigger and 'BANG'....smack on the target. Not only was the rifle shooting very, very accurately but I could hit targets past 300yds! :D

I owe a big thanks to this man, not just for setting my rifle up and giving the confidence to take longer shots but for taking the time to help a novice realise that it is possible. Thanks for a cracking day Chris, I truly appreciate it......... :)

Regards,Sprags

Guest Sprags
Nice one Sprags, it's a good feeling when you stretch the distance a bit and start to hit them, Chris does

a good job doesn't he.

But I have to say I'm gobsmacked...nay dumbfounded!!......you got a cuppa AND a sausage sarni out of him???

Yes Tikka, it was a great feeling to hit the target at a 'stretched' distance first shot! Chris certainly does do a good job :angry:

As for the cuppa and sarni, well what can I say? :lol:

Guest Sprags
Hi Sprags

What did you find the best loads were was it 95g, 90g, 70g ,50g ???

Prov :lol:

You would have to ask Chris that one mate as it was him that done the loads :angry:

Archived