Blank barrles??

his may be abit of a blonde moment but say i was to order a 26inch barrle with a remington heavy varmint profile, Archer, Border.. whatever

Do i get what it says on the tin? or is there a couple of inches either end spare on the barrle blank which can be machined during the fitting process, and are to be removed later (if you get what i mean)???

Only reason im asking is that in J Hinnant's "The complete illustrated guide to precision rifle barrle fitting" (which is an outstanding book, dont get me wrong) shows..

Step 3 in the guide involves turing an relief cut on the muzzle parralle to the bore so that it can be then held in the chuck with the bore true for the chambering process.. Fair enough

However it states that "the relief cut length should match the chuck jaw length" Which is 3 or 4 inch on my lathe?

Does this now mean that i need to order a longer barrle in order for the overall FINISHED length to be 26 inch???

Apologies if its a daft question!!

Hi Shrek,

Unless otherwise specified all barrels from the major makers usually come in at 28" to finish at 26" or shorter.

I do my barrels the same as in the book, firstly a face off about half an inch from the muzzle and centre with a piloted centre drill, i then turn a parallel chucking piece (muzzle relief) to the finished diameter of the muzzle thread i will be using, for a depth of about 5/8.

This will of course depend what the thread of the moderator will be.

If you are not going to use a moderator you will still have to carry out this operation as described but then face off the chucking piece as well.

I initially use a 4 jaw chuck to hold the breech end while turning the muzzle relief, i then hold the muzzle end in a Trugrip collet chuck that takes 5C type collets to do the breech.

Once set at zero the collet chuck set up is ultra accurate and totally repeatable.

I have found in the past that with swamped barrels such as the Sendero profile i have had to take upto inch and a bit of the breech end to get the swamped area of the barrel to mate up with the inlet of the barrel channel in the stock, look out for this or you will end up with a barrel thatwill not drop into the stock if left to long or an unsightly gap if cut to short.

Ian.

Cheers for the reply Ian, i thought you would be the fella to ask!

Where do you get the piloted centre drills from?

As for barrle channel in the stock its a remmy 700 action into an AICS stock so that shouldnt be a problem. As im only planing on doing this a small numbr of times im just going to use a 4 jaw chuck as i havent any access to chuck collets, so it'll just be the panstaking process of dialing in the jaws for me haha!

Archived