Please help .308

between the eyes

Please help, like a plank I've mislaid my loading manual, if I tell you what I've got can someone please give me the recipe.. :lol:

To be used in my Howa 1500 .308.

Sierra pro hunter 150 grain Spitzer

Viht N140

Federal brass

magtech primers

Thanks in advance and sorry for being a pain. :)

Cheers Andy

I use 46g of 140 under a 155g scenar, but this is quite warm.

There is a well known recipe of 44g of N140 that is exceptionally accurate.

I used to use 44 grains of 140 under a 2125 sierra 150 grain with good consistency.

Work load up safely, but around 44 grains (for 150 head) seems to be a good number.

I have just had my first dabble at homeloading .308 rounds, the thing that I wanted to achieve was better grouping than I was getting with the factory loads. So today I was at one of the farms that we shoot, we were just murdering Moles and I had taken the .308 with me. I went into a field where it was safe and put a few shots through the Howa at 100 yards.. Conditions were bright but a blustery wind, 1 shot slightly wayward but in the conditions I was very pleased. The squares are 1 cm.

This is the group. Job done.. :D

Photo017.jpg

The rounds are running at 2700 feet per second, using 150 grain Sierra Pro-Hunter soft point, 43.1 grains of Viht N140 powder, Fedral cases and Magtech primers. Rifle is a standard Howa 1500 .308 with a P8 moderator and a Nikko Gold 9 x scope. .

Thanks for your help guys.. :blush:

hi between the eyes ,

lifted that recipe for you off the sierra load site which you can access from the 6mmbr web site and click on the relevant caliber so if you get problems in the future the info is to hand tend to find the bullet makers info is more accurate as to loads than powder sites .

also 44 grains of varget is another good 150 to 155 grain bullet load for the 308 if you ever get powder sourceing problems may need to up or down it a few tenths for your gun but it wont be far out . thats my favourite for noslers sierra soft points and match bullets only difference in them is the effect of different bc s on the point of impact all group sub .5 moa at 100 yds .

trouble is now you are bitten by the reloading bug and it takes some serious curring i am affraid so have fun developing all those loads.

graham.

Hi between the eyes,

Looks like your getting the hang of loading for the fantastic 308 cartridge (everyone should own a 308) Just as slight observation, with you shots stringing a vertical line try dropping you powder charge .2 to .5 grains then try as a vertical string often means that your just abit to fast, on the other hand a horizontal string means they're slightly to slow dont ask me how it works as i dont have a clue, the results on paper can tell you alot about what "tweaks" your loads need to get them perfectly matched to your rifle.

If you ever get a chance have a chat to Mike Norris of Brock and Norris, dont know anyone with more trigger time than him and knowedge on the subject of load development, mainly his and ratwhiskers guidance thats got my rusty pipes shooting so well over the years!!

Most accurate load in mine using Sierra 150grn SP is 42.5grn of Viht 140, next accuracy nodes found at 44.5 and 46.5, no pressure problems.

The 42.5 load kills deer equally as well as the the other two, but an awful lot of people run around 44.5 in their deer rifles, as has already been said the 44 figure features in many .308 shooters favourite loads.

Pete.

Hi between the eyes,

Looks like your getting the hang of loading for the fantastic 308 cartridge (everyone should own a 308) Just as slight observation, with you shots stringing a vertical line try dropping you powder charge .2 to .5 grains then try as a vertical string often means that your just abit to fast, on the other hand a horizontal string means they're slightly to slow dont ask me how it works as i dont have a clue, the results on paper can tell you alot about what "tweaks" your loads need to get them perfectly matched to your rifle.

If you ever get a chance have a chat to Mike Norris of Brock and Norris, dont know anyone with more trigger time than him and knowedge on the subject of load development, mainly his and ratwhiskers guidance thats got my rusty pipes shooting so well over the years!!

Crikey, some strange stuff there, like you said I'll try a slightly slower round and see what happens then. I've just got to burn the 90 off that I've made first! :)

Crikey, some strange stuff there, like you said I'll try a slightly slower round and see what happens then. I've just got to burn the 90 off that I've made first! :)

Tell me about it! but trust me it works, its all about finding that load that matches the barrel, you may try the load in another howa and it wont shoot for s**t, your certainly not far away with that load your shooting, as i say minor tweaks can make all the difference, but practice is the main thing, none of us can shoot a accurate group unless we can aim hold and fire accuratly! 90 rounds will certainly get you into the swing of things tho! haha, good luck with it mate, there is bigger and there is faster, but a 308 take alot of beating!

Archived