1/2" UNF to 5/8" UNF moderator adaptor

Hi guys

Here we go first post. Have been reading all of yours for a while though so thank you for all the information.

My question is has anyone used/made an adaptor to fit a moderator with a 5/8" thread onto a barrel with a 1/2" thread?

The reason is I have recently aquired a 6BR and it has a Jet-Z on it with a 5/8 thread and I would like to try it out on the little .17 Mach IV.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Hi Mach iv and welcome.

I have known this done in the past for a T8. Not sure it would be a good idea for a forward mounting type. There would be lots of room for error.

I suppose it would be ok to try something out but better applying for the right one in the long run.

Be careful of the terms of your ticket?

Machined an adaptor a few years ago for my heavy barrel Sako 243 which was 1/2" thread , I had a 5/8" reflex and as long as it is all done and clocked for concentricity theres no problem.

The adaptor has to be thread locked onto the barrel otherwise it will keep unscrewing.

cheers Andy ;)

Hi Mach IV,

a top hat style adaptor with the flange approx 1/8" bigger then your barrel muzzle diameter would be the best solution if your Mach IV has a sporter weight barrel.

The threads would have to be very precise and all faces perpendicular to the bore.

Taps and dies will not cut the threads to the accuracy required you would need a skilled machinist to screwcut both the external and the internal threads for a perfect fit to the barrel and the muzzle.

If you cant find anyone who can do it for you locally, bring your rifle and mod over to me for an afternoon and i will do it for you.

Ian.

Hi Mach IV,

a top hat style adaptor with the flange approx 1/8" bigger then your barrel muzzle diameter would be the best solution if your Mach IV has a sporter weight barrel.

The threads would have to be very precise and all faces perpendicular to the bore.

Taps and dies will not cut the threads to the accuracy required you would need a skilled machinist to screwcut both the external and the internal threads for a perfect fit to the barrel and the muzzle.

If you cant find anyone who can do it for you locally, bring your rifle and mod over to me for an afternoon and i will do it for you.

Ian.

Mike,

Wrap some masking tape round the barrel then screw the Jet Z down on that. That should do the trick! ;)

Varminter,

If you use double sided sticky tape instead there will be less chance of it undoing ;)

Could be awkward keeping the concentricity though ????

I have a T8 with a 5/8 thread and use it on my sako ppc . I got my tikka lite stainless threaded for a MOD could only go 1/2 inch on this. The man in the local engineering shops is a wizard and he made the adapter for the tikka with an outer 5/8 thread .

So I could use the one Mod on both rifles. This worked very well on both rifles

Problem is the adapter keeps getting left behind in the Mod. This was ok to begining, but you end up having to use a long screwdriver to try to get it out . This is especially annoying as only yesterday it got stuck again and I really need it out- missed out on a foxing oppertunity.Solution, ended up glueing the barrel thread and refitting it, allowed to set and then I got it off. I then had to get the adapter off the barrel.

I had it thread glued to the barrel for a while but without a thread protector you are always watching in case you knock the exposed thread and it looks crap.

So from now on the T8 mod is for the ppc and I am going to buy another one for the tikka. It will cost a bit but if the thread in the Mod or the barrels gets damaged that not going to be cheap to fix either.

Thats my two pence worth.

Dave

Hey Varminter I will use Silver Duct tape so it matches the barrel. The first shot will sort out any concentricity issues!! Eeek.

Thanks for the info' guys. I was intending to use a proper machinist. I could never get anything straight with a tap and die. I think I might have found one locally.

Also it isn't meant as a permanent fix just an experiment to see how well it worked on the .17. The Jet-Z is doing a great job on the BR

Cheers

Huntsman,

Fit the adapter onto your 1/2'' thread Tikka semi permanent with stud lock. This will remain on all the time so you might want a 5/8ths thread cover. Makes no difference if you want to work it un-moderated. :rolleyes:

Then split your rear plastic bush into 2 pieces carefully with an hacksaw. To remove the mod you unscrew the mod from the barrel and then to slip it off you back out the bush which obviously comes away in 2 pieces. Fitting is the reverse. Maybe a bit fiddly but quicker to do than write.

Had no problems with this before I purchased my second mod. :)

Ok Huntsman I know what you mean.

Like I said in the first post adapters and the like are ok for testing something i.e. will I use it more if its quieter.

Things like this will always be a compromise and a seperate unit is the better, all be it more expensive route.

Archived