bullet advice please.............

Guest martin

Guest martin

I am going to be reloading very soon for my .204cal which I already have some load info for,but,I will be reloading for my .243 as well,and,was wondering what heads you stalkers use.I will be shooting mostly Roe and Muntjac,and,although most shots will most likely be around the 100mtrs distance, afew might be out to sort of 200-250mtrs.I am totally new to reloading,so,please be gentle with me..................Martin.

hi martin,

reloading for my 243 i am using 70 grain blitzking in a lapau case with cci br primer and 40 grains of varget groups well in my rifle and puts roe down very effectively when heart lung shot and not to much meat damage exit hole about twice size of entrance hole . also have friend using 70 grain noslers but my rifle dosent like them. but since found out it will shoot them if you drive them fast was recommended to get as near to 42 grains of varget as safe to with noslers.

also using some 87 grain v maxs same case and primer but down to 37 grains of varget and they group into the same at same range but bit better in winder conditions slightly more exit hole damage than the blitz king not much noticeable difference in put down effect but they do more internal organ damage .they are dead and down within 10 yds so far with boiler room shots furthest about 170 yds. have to say for long range stuff take the 308 for preference so far but still learning what the 243 will do with some crow and rabbit bashing.suspect the 70 grains would be to light on fallow but the 87grains would be ok on them

hope this helps but only shot roe so far muntjac effects not known they can be a law unto themselves, but have fun with the reloading warning it is addictive.from what i can workout the 243 is designed to shoot 70 to 90 grain bullets but you might find a 100 grain head to shoot if the twist in the barrel is right to keep you legal for scotland.

graham.

Sorry to be anal Martin but Heads are what you go to the toilet in if you are in the Navy, bullets are what you load into cases to form cartridges! On a more serious note, I too like the Hornaday 87grn V-Max for smaller deer and for head shooting park deer. Best wishes, JC

Sorry to be anal Martin but Heads are what you go to the toilet in if you are in the Navy,..

I thought they were the best bits off an "electric hemp" plant :D

Yeh, I did a double-take when I saw the term heads on this forum. Never heard it before- only bullets or projectiles

Chris-NZ

both blitzking and vmax are varminting bullets. they are not suitable for deer shooting. they have very different expansion properties.

A lot will depend on the twist rate of the rifle. if it has a 1 in 9 or faster twist rate then 100 or 105 gr bullets will be good. Hornadys interlock 100 gr (2450) is an excellant bullet. I have shot plenty of deer with this bullet and it is good. the 105 gr speer hotcor has great terminal effect but some rifles won't spin them enough to get good enough accuracy.

If your rifle doesn't like the heavier bullet then speer make a 90 gr hotcor these hot cors are a pretty good bullet. maybe not quite as accurate as some (in my experience) but excellant killers.

What is the rifle and what is the twist rate?

Swampy

Ive used 87gr V-Max for neck shot deer to great effect but wouldnt use them for body shots! unless i had no choice i.e an injured deer. I have a pretty accurate load with 100gr gamekings but havent used these yet as i now prefer neck shots and the Vmax works well they dont even twitch. My rifle is a 10" .243Ai

I use 85gr Speer soft point boat tail with 46grs of H4350 and cci benchrest primers it gives about 3100fps very flat shooting and kills roe and muntjac very effectively without severe meat damage and groups under 1 inch all day.

I have also used the Nosler 95gr hunting ballistic tip which again is very accurate, clean kills on roe out to 200yds.

This is powered by 42grs H4350 and same br primers, both using full length resize remington cases and my sako with 1-10 twist prefers the bullet 35-40 thou off the rifling for best accuracy. The 85gr bullets are very effective on foxes etc too.

Redfox

Ps. Muntjac are much tougher little beasts than roe and will run even with a perfect heart shot, seen them go nearly 100yds in brush with no heart left!! I prefer to use the 6.5 or 270 on them, saves a lot of searching.

I use a 90gn Nosler ballistic tip in my .243, this is my small deer and fox rifle and has performed really well. My load is 42.5gn IMR 4831, this will put 3 rounds into .6" every time from my Tikka T3, I haven't got a chronograph but it's in the middle of Noslers recomended powder weight. ATB, Gareth.

hi swampy,

i use the blitzking and v max as that was what i was advised to by three seperate people who all earn there living from stalking to some extent and one is an accredited dsc level 2 witness , there advise was that smaller species of deer in this country have relatively small body cavities and are thin skinned ie varmint type build, and they had all had running deer from using conventional soft point bullets on roe deer which had not died or being found by their dogs and they had seen much evidence of same size entrance and exit holes regularly where no bones had being hit . the advise from all of them was to use the above bullets or nosler balistic tips. as the bullet would expand in soft tissue mass not being solely relieant on resistance for expansion. as a hunter it is our duty to kill our target as humanely as possible and not to cause suffering now if that means i have the odd bit of meat damage or the odd wrecked shoulder joint then so be it and what will it hurt if my dog eats as well as me occasionaly. as you say over kill isnt a problem under kill is .

now for interest two of the people also recomended to stay with balistic tips for my 308 and have to say that soft points will put a fox down and leave it wounded severly and alive even when hit in the front leg area and have had to be given follow up shots the worst case was three plus a head shot when we got to it that animal suffered needlessly using balistic tip bullets or hollow point they are dead end of story now if i shoot a roe with a 110 grain vmax in 308 cal the animal is killed humanely and the exit damage is about the size of a drinks bottle top but if i do catch a shoulder some of it is spoilt but the kill was humane as a side note one of the guys concerned will not even contemplate neck shooting as he says the chance of a wounded deer is to great to even be thought of .

now i know this is an emotive issue but i took advise from people vastly more experienced than me and have to say their advice has been sound for me so i hope you can see my point of view and the reasons i use the bullets i do . but i have the knowledge that as long as i shoot within my capabilities that my target be it big or small will die as humanely as possible.

graham.

Guest martin
both blitzking and vmax are varminting bullets. they are not suitable for deer shooting. they have very different expansion properties.

A lot will depend on the twist rate of the rifle. if it has a 1 in 9 or faster twist rate then 100 or 105 gr bullets will be good. Hornadys interlock 100 gr (2450) is an excellant bullet. I have shot plenty of deer with this bullet and it is good. the 105 gr speer hotcor has great terminal effect but some rifles won't spin them enough to get good enough accuracy.

If your rifle doesn't like the heavier bullet then speer make a 90 gr hotcor these hot cors are a pretty good bullet. maybe not quite as accurate as some (in my experience) but excellant killers.

What is the rifle and what is the twist rate?

Swampy

Hi Swampy,I'm gonna be absolutely honest mate,I am not sure what the twist rate is on my rifle,but,it is a Remington 700 ADL in .243cal. Would you know from that info,or do they vary?

hi martin,

you should have a 1 in ten twist rate on that gun if its a 22 " barrel if it is the youth model it will be a 20 " with a 1 in 9 1/2 " twist so which ever it is martin you should be good to go up to 100 grain bullets and possiblely a bit heavier but need to be guided by bullet makers recomendations and watch your power rates as they have some bullets the same weight but for different uses and the powder charts are different enough for things to go bad. mostly you are looking at the heavy match and vld designs for these problems but with all loads start safe and work up .

graham.

Hi Swampy,I'm gonna be absolutely honest mate,I am not sure what the twist rate is on my rifle,but,it is a Remington 700 ADL in .243cal. Would you know from that info,or do they vary?

My rifle was originaly an ADL, it is in getting a new barrel at the moment so the only original prt will be the action once I am done. but please the post above for the fodder my ADL liked for deer. It did shoot 70 grain VMAX v well with 44 grains of 414. 1/2 inch at 100m on a good day sub inch on a bad day.

Dave

bullet heads :D that what i call them ;) well if you think about it theres the body which is the case and on top is the bullet which is the head ..bullet head :lol: it must be an old school thing...what iv read is the 87gn are best

bullet heads :angry: that what i call them ;) well if you think about it theres the body which is the case and on top is the bullet which is the head ..bullet head :lol: it must be an old school thing...what iv read is the 87gn are best

Not so much an 'old school' thing, more a correct thing! If you learn to use the correct terminology you come across as competent and knowledgeable and do your bit to improve standards in stalking and shooting in general. Some people like to come across as cowboys but they do not do themselves or any of us any favours, I have even come across people who call female fallow (fellow?) hinds!!

Guest Sprags

Martin, my Remmy in .243 has the standard 24inch barrel and the twist rate is 1:9 & 1/8 mate.

Check this link, scroll down and look for the .243 info......

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms...del_700_SPS.asp

Regards,Sprags

85grn Sierra SP or Speer SPBT both loaded with 43.5grns of Viht 160, 3080fps, are effective on all the deer species we have in the UK whether head, neck or body shot. Bullets for any calibre will always cause debate, there's not many bad bullets produced anymore, just be sure of the continued availabilty of the bullet of your choice. Speer's are very good in my opinion but are often difficult to source, Sierra's I've always found much easier.

Pete.

Archived